Clare meet 7th-9th June 2024

Information about ISKA meets
fionatrahe

Clare meet 7th-9th June 2024

Post by fionatrahe » Sun May 26, 2024 2:05 pm

As the Clare coast is very exposed, location decision will be made closer to the date.
Looking at both offshore and onshore paid camping options and fallback in Connemara.

Registration is open now:
https://forms.gle/aBcgFkFrHyfCCBSG8

conorsmith

Re: Clare meet 7th-9th June 2024

Post by conorsmith » Mon May 27, 2024 11:57 am

The current plan for this meet is the Aran Islands, assuming of course the weather is in our favour.

Because of the location and particularly the open water crossing, you will need to be L3 ability. You should be capable of paddling for 2 hours without landing, averaging between 5km and 6km per hour. We must also be mindful of busy ferry traffic between the islands and Doolin, giving these working boats plenty of space.

Our first preference is an overnight offshore camp on Inis Meain (middle island). Note, there is no official camp site but we are being given the use of a community field just off the main beach. While there are facilities towards the village area, perhaps not enough for everyone if numbers are big. As such, you should consider this a wild camp, bringing everything you will need for the duration. As always, there will be a very strict leave no trace policy.

If numbers are too big altogether for the Inis Meain option, the fallback will be Inis Oirr who have confirmed the camp site will be available to us. In this scenario we will still visit Inis Meain first for a walkabout beforehand.

The weather though may require otherwise, somewhere more sheltered. Keep a close eye on the forum where we will keep you informed.

conorsmith

Re: POSTPONED - Clare meet 7th-9th June 2024

Post by conorsmith » Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:47 pm

POSTPONED

Unfortunately the weather is not in our favour this weekend, more specifically the winds. Out around the islands the forecast is showing the winds F4+ for the most part during the day. I would be very slow to do this with a small select group, but certainly not with larger numbers.

Plan B was Connemara however, it is no different further north and would require us to confine ourselves to the Bays, which is a big ask with most having to travel.

This was my third attempt to organise an Aran Island meet and we have been defeated by the wind each time.

I am determined though to run this at some point in the coming months, but it will be advertised at short notice when a weather window presents. I have open permission to a field on Inis Meain or to the campsite on Inis Oirr, with numbers ultimately determining the final decision.

While disappointed, we should still manage to do this before the year is out.

knotman

Re: Clare meet 7th-9th June 2024

Post by knotman » Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:01 pm

Many thanks Conor for your work....it is what it is...hopefully I'll see you and the crew soon....Sennen