Dublin Bay Sea Kayak Race

Information about ISKA meets
conormurray

Dublin Bay Sea Kayak Race

Post by conormurray » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

The first ever Dublin Bay sea kayak race takes place on Sunday the 3rd October 2010 and with categories to suit everyone, this is a race not to be missed!
For further information go to the East Coast Sea Kayak Club website:
http://www.ecskc.eu/index.php?option=co ... &id=73:dub

Or contact us at: mailto:race@ecskc.eu

Post edited by: conormurray, at: 2010/09/08 13:01Post edited by: conormurray, at: 2010/09/08 13:02

Dave

Re:Dublin Bay Sea Kayak Race posted

Post by Dave » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Posted on behalf of Dave Farrell, Espoir Canoe Club

This is probably the first sea kayak race in Dublin bay this centuary
I cannot post to bulletin board i have tried a few times
1: espoir canoe club regularly organised races in dun laoghaire harbour
See photo start 1982
A number of 10000meter sprint races in the 80s around Seapoint

There were some races organised to seapoint from portmarnock /malahide to seapoint in the early 60,s
See
http://www.liffeydescent.com/language/e ... clean.aspx

I was also privileged to know Ronnie Taylor originally from Dalkey Canoe club who together with others from that club such as Ernie Lawrence go right back to the beginning in 1960 when I believe but 8 boats were involved.
This record will inevitably stray beyond the Liffey, and at this point I would bring in Arthur Keenan, who was well known in Northern Ireland Scouts circles and his contemporaries in the period of the early 60’s and before who completed in such events as the “Round Ireland’s Eye” Race and the Portmarnock (or thereabouts) to Dun Laoghaire Race which portaged the peninsula at Sutton. The Carrick to Bangor (across the mouth of Belfast Lough) was also a popular race in those days. Many of the Belfast paddlers mentioned would have competed in this one.

See irish times /irish independent 18/3/1966 race abandoned shortened I will check article in two weeks time

Yours faithfully
Dave Farrell

conormurray

Re:Dublin Bay Sea Kayak Race

Thanks for pointing this out Dave. I was looking at this race as being the first kayak race in recent times and hopefully as an ongoing annual event, which could also become part of a national series of sea kayak races. I didn\'t mean to insult events of the past!

I am certainly guilty of my ignorance of the history of kayaking in Dublin/elsewhere and really appreciate you posting and its fantastic to hear you mention some epic races of the past. I\'m not sure if the Portmarnock to Seapoint race would work from a safety point of view these days but it would be fantastic to resurrect such a race, as it would be an amazing challenge!

Cheers,
Conor

conormurray

There is lots of interest in the Dublin Bay Sea Kayak race which is taking place this Sunday 3rd October.

Weather looks like it will be good on the day.

Touring Sea Kayaks are available for hire at €20 - Contact Des at 086 820 5627.

All entrants will be entered into a raffle for spot prizes at the end of the race.

Entries registration starts at 10 AM at Bulloch - so come early to get good parking!

Look forward to seeing you there and best of luck,

Conor

eddieoshea

Post by eddieoshea » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

It looks like we the weather Gods are looking down on us for tomorrow\'s race in Bulloch Harbour. Wind Guru are forecasting F2/3 SW and we will definitely settle for that.
Registration from 10am, Race starts at midday.
See you all there,
Eddie

MOFarrell

Post by MOFarrell » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

While weather conditions are good for the Sea Race tomorrow,
I would like to add two safety requests:
[ol]Will paddlers who own VHF radios bring them on the race, and
Please ensure you carry a whistle.
[/ol]

Also due to popular demand the touring classes race will be 11km long (that\'s twice around the course) and the racing classes will be three laps of the same course.

Michael O\'FPost edited by: MOFArrell, at: 2010/10/02 18:21

johndunn

Post by johndunn » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Congrats and well done all for putting on a great event. May it be the first of many! Specially Compere O\'Farrell, Paparazzi Murray and Debt-Collector O\'Shea. And of course Ms. O\'Sheas for the soup. Yum!

MOFarrell

Post by MOFarrell » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks to all who travelled from far and near to take part in our Sea Race on Sunday.

Thanks also to our team who did the work,
[ol] Herve, Jess, Barney, Kevin, Gavan, Willie, Dave, Sandra, Bridín, Dermot, Amy, Anna, Ewan, Padraig,Robin and not least Caroline.[/ol]
and sponsors who supported.
[ol]Great Outdoors, East Coast Canoe & Kayaking, i-Canoe, Shearwater, Deep Blue Sea Kayaking, The Red Cross, Bray Sailing Club, Monica at Bulloch Harbour and ECSKC.[/ol]

Having counted the money, Eddie is busy compiling the results and Conor is in the darkroom gathering the photographic evidence of a great day.

There will a race next year (we haven\'t decided who will run it)
Michael

dermotfinn

Post by dermotfinn » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks again for putting it on.

Here are a few picturesby Herve and Jess.

conormurray

The results are now up on the East Coast Kayak Club\'s website...

http://www.ecskc.eu/

Well done to everyone who entered and helped to make it such a fantastic event.
See you all again next year with funny scoup shaped paddles, skinny boats and giant biceps!
In saying that, racing is not just about being competitive but its also about meeting other types of kayakers and boats, having fun and also taking part in an event that promotes sea kayaking in general.
Well done again to all.

Cheers,
Conor