An Opportunity Lost

General discussion
conorsmith

An Opportunity Lost

Post by conorsmith » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

While I have only been paddling a little over 2 yrs, I get the impression (rightly or wrongly) only a few of us take advantage of our fabulous inland waterways (referring to sea kayakers only). Other than a very odd occasion, how often do you see postings on the BB suggesting a trip, posting a comment or even pictures? You could probably count the number of times on one hand and I would suggest it is a pity.

Yesterday 4 of us paddled Lough Derg (Co Clare). At a leisurely pace and never having to backtrack (other than up and down the River Scarriff where we chatted with a number of fishermen along the way) we covered over 19km. Not too sloppy for a half day\'s trip.

The lake is over 30km in length and more than 4km wide in places. It has a number of islands worth a ramble, including Holy Island which boasts 5 churches, early monastic cells, ancient grave stones plus a round tower. I believe many of our lake islands contain archaeological sites worth visiting. I have also taken a number of paddles on the lower Shannon Estuary and visited some of its islands and have yet to visit Lough Corrib, which is supposed to be an absolute gem.

If excitement is your preference, take a paddle on a larger lake when the winds get up - you won\'t need a Head Shop to give you the rush these waves will provide - plenty of adrenalin and often quite nasty sporting a handle with care notice!

Do yourself a favour over the coming months, paddle a large lake or one of our rivers. Otherwise, it could be an opportunity lost.

[img size=600]http://www.irishseakayakingassociation. ... 180080.jpg[/img]

conorsmith

Re:An Opportunity Lost

conorsmith

Try tell me you would not enjoy paddling this on a still sunny afternoon....

[img size=600]http://www.irishseakayakingassociation. ... 180092.jpg[/img]

johnbrophy

Post by johnbrophy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

I couldn\'t agree more. Having spent plenty of childhood holidays boating on Lough Ree, a source-to-sea trip on the Shannon is definitely on my to-do list once I have the equipment/experience.

niallmadden

Post by niallmadden » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Fair cop.

Will make plans for a Westie meet on Lough Corrib over a beer in the teepee on Saturday.

Niall.

etienne

Post by etienne » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

I\'ve done some paddling on Killarney lakes over the years. Very beautiful and peaceful with little traffic. definitely recommended.

Unfortunately the local wildlife authority has been forced to inspect boats and question owners as to previous paddling venues. Some of our inland waters have been contaminated by zebra mussles or some such beastie and an attempt is being made to check the spread.

Apparently boats that have only been at sea are ok. Boats that have been exposed to inland waters are more of a problem.

I have an aversion to complicated rules, even necessary ones, so I stick to the ocean these days.

Et

johnbrophy

Post by johnbrophy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

That\'s a very good point about the risk of spreading invasive species around the place when moving your boat. The following link gives a bit more information about what to do after paddling in inland waters in particular, and on the various plants and animals that might want to hitch a ride with you to the next lake/river.

http://caisie.ie/?page_id=63

Might be helpful to add some info on this to any future draft of the ISKA environmental guidelines.

John

brianmacmahon

Post by brianmacmahon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Couldn\'t agree with Conor more. Lough Corrib is indeed a gem of a lake however launching can be problem. Once launched from a jetty that I took as being public only to find a reception committee waiting for me on my return, an all english and german committee I might add.

Lough Derg however is much more relaxed with an abundance of quiet launch sites and beautiful camp sites. Looking at google it would appear that every square foot of shoreline on Lough Corrib would appear to be privately owned.

Maybe we could organise an ISKA meet on the Corrib that wasy we will be guaranteed to outnumber the reception committee that will be undoubtedly waiting for us on our return.....does anyone speak german ?

Mac :laugh:

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

At least once per month I paddle the Shannon on the Leitrim stretch, I have been doing so for longer than I care to remember. Maurice.

brianmacmahon

Post by brianmacmahon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

This might wet your appetite - the following is a clip taken on Lough Derg. You\'ll notice that it cuts a little rough on the crossing to holy island, that\'s only F3 beam wind, F5 to 6 can be very \"interesting\" to say the least. The swell on the lake is much closer together then on the sea which can prove \"challanging\". Enjoy;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG3ZTuNFlYg

Mac :woohoo: