ICOM M33

General discussion
ciarancarthy

ICOM M33

Post by ciarancarthy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Not being able to acquire a replacement battery for my corroded M31 unit I am now in the market for a new VHF radio.

Does anybody have experience of the ICOM M33, or can they recommend a better unit?

conorsmith

Re:ICOM M33

Post by conorsmith » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Ciaran
you can get an AA battery tray for the M31 from
http://www.mesltd.co.uk/icom-bp223-batt ... p-871.html
If you contact them, they may have a replacement Lion battery unit itself to save you have to replace the whole radio?

They also do a good price on the M33 and with sterling being so poor, might be worth a look
http://www.mesltd.co.uk/icom-buoyant-ma ... 2.htmlPost edited by: conorsmith, at: 2009/12/09 12:12

ciarancarthy

Post by ciarancarthy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks Conor

Anybody out there own an M33?

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

I have recently gotten the latest \"entry\" Standard Horizon\". Its the HS280E. much, much simpler than the \"270\" that it has replaced. Functions are fab.............. Reception brill.
The belt clip as only means of securing, Dodgy!!! (trust me!!!!)
I\'m presently preparing some notes for the next T na D but at a glance, I\'ll offer 9/10.

Maurice

niallmadden

Post by niallmadden » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Maurice wrote:
I have recently gotten the latest \"entry\" Standard Horizon\". Its the HS280E.... I\'m presently preparing some notes for the next T na D but at a glance, I\'ll offer 9/10.
Hi Maurice,
Thanks for taking to time to write up a piece on your VHF for T na D.
That article is currently being developed, and will include reviews of the HX500E, M31 ICOM and WM 150.
If you send me an email (nmadden-at-eircom.net) I\'ll send you a draft so you\'ll know the general outline.

If anyone else would be willing to take a few mins to contibute a review, please contact me.

Cheers,
Niall.

BillyDennigan

Post by BillyDennigan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

[ul]
[li] My M33 has had very little usage in the 6 months I\'ve had it so I can\'t comment on how tough it is. However even at this point I see that the notorious middle contact is already considerably dulled despite being very well cared for.[/li]
[li] the Lithium Ion battery has outlasted any day trip I\'ve taken it on, and unlike the ni-cad in my old M31, doesn\'t seem to drain even after lengthy spells idle[/li]
[li]what really bugs me is that the same pair of up/down buttons are shared between channel/volume/squelch. By default they work channel, and you have to press Vol before using them to raise/lower the volume. To me this is madness - you shouldn\'t have to watch the screen and do multiple button presses for something as basic as volume adjustment, especially if you\'re in challenging conditions.[/li]
[li]I like the fact that it floats[/li]
[li]I don\'t like the belt clip as it\'s shaped like a J which is ok for a belt around your waist but not for my buoyancy aid. I had to hack it into a narrower shape to fit. Also it has slipped off the radio once or twice so you definitely need to tether it, buoyant or not.[/li]
[/ul]

Oveall, if I was to do it again I probably wouldn\'t buy this one, or at least I\'d look more carefully at alternatives.

Billy.Post edited by: BillyDennigan, at: 2009/12/10 10:45

DesKeaney

Post by DesKeaney » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Good points Billy. Here\'s my experience...
I need a radio to:
o have good range, reception and sound quality
o have good battery life
o not to rust, rot, corrode or otherwise mechanically malfunction

I have 3 ICOM M31s and have had M1 Euro-Vs in the past. I don\'t know the M33 other than it seems to be a more compact and floating version of the M31.
The M31 is fulfills the first two criteria above brilliantly. It\'s great to use.
It has no knobs to corrode and stick as happened on the M1, so that\'s good.
However, it\'s disastrous with regard to the third. The central terminal will corrode within a month of purchase with constant use, despite being rinsed every time. The battery life can be prolonged by timely use of a soldering iron but the connections behind the terminals will go eventually. I\'ve had reluctant (at best) service from Western Marine although others have had better success with ICOM directly.
I won\'t buy ICOM again.
I have some experience of a Standard Horizon HX270E.
It doesn\'t suffer from corrosion problems. The volume is controlled by a knob but salt water doesn\'t seem to affect it (unlike ICOM). The first radio stopped working within warranty but was replaced without question by Union Chandlery in Cork. The second has performed without fault for 2 seasons of constant use.

Julian

Post by Julian » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

I recommend that you call ICOM (UK) and then return your faulty ICOM M31 battery pack directly to them at:

Sam Taylor-Nobbs
ICOM (UK)
Unit 9
Sea Street Industrial Estate
HERNE BAY
Kent CT6 8LD
UK

Include a covering letter stating age, careful usage in a dry case (eg. Aquapac) and/or careful rinsing/drying after each use and point out the clear design fault causing rapid electro-corrosion of the middle terminal. They know about the problem, but probably won\'t accept responsibility as such. Nonetheless they replaced my battery free of charge.

knotman2

Post by knotman2 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

My 2nd terminal, on my ICOM33 that is, is well and truly gone also. Properly looked after, in Aquapac also and rinsed after all uses. A quick fix, which I find is still working very well, was to stuff ordinary kitchen tin foil into small \'tunnel\' behind the second terminal. A strong elastic band, experimentally positioned, will hold battery in contact while charging. Tin foil can be changed if a problem develops.
Still working at the moment anyway, after about a year. Fingers crossed.
Soldering sounds like a great idea.

I wonder if Ryanair had any input into that badly designed Terminal......?

Seasons Greetings to everyone. Sennen

knotman2

Post by knotman2 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

ICOM 31 methinks now, not 33. Sennen