Great Island Kayak Race 27th Dec

Information about ISKA meets
Mary

Great Island Kayak Race 27th Dec

Post by Mary » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Great Island Kayak Race will take place on the 27th December 2009 NOW ON 28th DECEMBER

Start of race in Marloag Inn as on previous years
Briefing 10.30am
Touring start 11.00am
Novice/Junior start 11.30 am
Elite Start 12.00
Junior will go to a marker buoy before the marsh and back to Marloag Inn

Fee 20.00 Euro
Junior 10 Euro

http://www.greatislandkayakrace.com/Post edited by: mary, at: 2009/12/23 18:11

conorsmith

Re:Great Island Kayak Race 27th Dec

Post by conorsmith » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Brilliant and looking forward to it already. Have entered last 2 years event and would encourage as many as possible to give it a go. A great day out and very well organised.
Something for everyone here, from the keen racer to the leisurely paddler (that\'s me, which is clearly evident from the lack of my name anywhere on the leader board).
This might also be the excuse you need to get away from the in-laws for a day! ;)

Conor

seaweedbath

Post by seaweedbath » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

27th.......is just two days after Christmas!

suits people closeby in Cork area but for longer distance folk untangling from christmas family tings i\'d say ideally it\'s a day early.

How about the next day, Monday 28th?? ......is a bank holiday, so paddlers available, would give a bit more leeway after christmas festivities.- tide is 14:09 - Cobh.

urge rethink on date.

Rgds

Jim

Cian

Post by Cian » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Sometimes Jim every gathering can\'t be planned around your schedule!
How about changing Christmas day to the 24th?
How would that work for you??

Cian

seaweedbath

Post by seaweedbath » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

As an enthusiastic supporter & particpant of the race since its inception 4 years ago i am voicing an opinion....that is what forums are about.

I also speak as an annual race organiser over the past decade and have regularly moved fixtures to facilitate other events where an important clash has been pointed out to me. For example, Septemer 2009 the Galway Marathon race was moved back by 1 week to avoid clashing with Irish Polo open.

The past three years the GIKR race has generally fallen on 29,30th Dec in a natural lull tween Christmas and new years eve. what i am suggesting to the organisers is to schedule the race for 28th.

Jim

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Sorry lads, not wanting to get between the two of you and if I can climb over the handbags, might Jim have a point?
St Stephens is a big night for hitting the town. With plenty of sore heads the next day, would it mean fewer participants? If a shift to the 28th were possible how many more paddlers would be available?
Just my thoughts and it being the season of good will, hope everyone can keep their toys in their prams.......... :S
Hope to be there regardless to raise a toast to the winner(s)
ConorPost edited by: conorsmith, at: 2009/12/03 21:16

Cian

Post by Cian » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

I was just playing the Devil\'s advocate for a bit of fun and like your comments there Jim about clashing handbags!
In fact the 28th would suit me better too so no offence meant Jim.
I am but a novice so I\'d be wise to keep my trap shut until I am a fully paid up member of ISKA! I have yet to attend a meeting as I only recently purchased my kayak and was hoping that the Great Island event would be a good opportunity to meet other kayakers, on the 28th preferably!!!

Cian