Repeat of Lyme Regis disaster near miss

General discussion
seaweedbath

Repeat of Lyme Regis disaster near miss

Post by seaweedbath » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

snippet from weekend Irish times

\"...The “medevac” was one of a number of incidents involving Irish Coast Guard and Royal National Lifeboat Institution crews over a 24-hour period, including the rescue of six children and one adult from overturned kayaks off Clogherhead, Co Louth.

The six girls and an adult instructor from an adventure centre were in the water when the Clogherhead lifeboat Doris Bleasdale arrived on the scene.

The girls and their teacher from a national school in Dublin were on a day-trip to the adventure centre with the rest of their class.\"

strong offshore wind + young kids....what the h*eck?!!!.....Does anyone know more details? i.e. what adventure centre?

Sounds like a near disasterous repeat of the Lyme Regis kayak accident in UK.

brianmacmahon

Re:Repeat of Lyme Regis disaster near miss

Post by brianmacmahon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Yes not the best combination in the world to have learner kayakers and an off shore wind. Worst of all the instructor had no comms. and no flares to signal distress; here is the link draw your own conclusions

http://www.rnli.org.uk/rnli_near_you/ne ... y/iPzJE416

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Link with RNLI report below, which reads worse again. These people were incredibly lucky and the \"instructor\"......... better not to comment!

http://www.rnli.org.uk/rnli_near_you/ir ... eid=689416

dermotfinn

Post by dermotfinn » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

I spotted this on the news, and I was hoping to find some amazing reason why you would take kids out on a day like that. After reading the rnli report I am more concerned. They were primary school kids for feck sake. No tow rope, no flares, no vhf. I think they were very lucky they were spotted.

martinduffy

Post by martinduffy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

I did a days work for an \"adventure centre\" in this area once - and it was a clown show - I was the only qualified instructor (out of 6) and the guy running the place was a young lad with no experience or qualifications. They asked me back and I refused - the governing bodies need to get tough with centres who are employing cheap labour with no qualifications before someone loses their life.

Martin

brianmacmahon

Post by brianmacmahon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Couldn\'t agree with you more Martin. We are fast approaching the summer holidays. All the kids, mine included are looking at various summer camps. A lot of them do \"Kayaking\" as part of their \"Camp package\".
Putting a load of kids onto \"sit on\'s\" with basic equipement is one thing. At the very least you would expect the \"Instructor\" to be equipped with the necessary safety equipment and most importantly be qualified in the use of that equipment.

I for one will be asking some serious questions regarding the qualifications of the people that are responsible for my kids safety.
Having a backup boat such as a RIB handy would be nice. Clear lines of communication and proper safety procedures to account for every eventuality would be better.

Regulation is indeed needed !!!!!

seaweedbath

Post by seaweedbath » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

A google of Clogherhead & adventure activities throws up

http://www.neptuneireland.com/student_a ... g.html[url][/url]

I have put in a request to the owners confirming that their centre was the one involved, and also requested what kayaking qualifications their instructors hold.