Interesting mesage from Poland

General discussion
donalmcnamara

Interesting mesage from Poland

Post by donalmcnamara » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Recieved this from Marcim, who is from the Polish Kayaking group!

Dear Paddlers,

I\'m directing this email to the experienced kayakers of the world asking you all for a comment regarding our recording which presents two swimming with a paddle techniques. I perceive this techniques as being one of the basic self-rescue skills. We are planning to use this recording for trainings organized by our non-profit organization called KiM. We provide advance trainings as well as teach the beginners.We are quires whether somebody has come up with more effective swimming with a paddle technique. If so, please let us know.

The film RESCUE SWIMMING WITH A PADDLE is on our web:
www.fundacjakim.pl

I will be grateful for any comments or suggestions.

Kind regrads,

Marcin Chodorowski
Fundacja KiM
Poland
Posted by Donal Mc

brianmacmahon

Re:Interesting mesage from Poland

Post by brianmacmahon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Very Interesting.....it\'s true what they say you learn something new everyday.
It would be normal practise for sea kayakers in particular to have their paddles tethered to their boats. However I can defenitely see the advantage where river kayaking is concerned.

The technique of using the padddle while swimming on your back seems the best method. PFD\'s tend to have all their buoyancy to the front which makes it difficult to swim butterfly as you have to launch your body out of the water with each stroke while at the same time holding the paddle.

Looks good.....this type of training has merit. Nice one Marcin.
Thanks Donal for posting.Post edited by: brianmacmahon, at: 2010/02/01 17:02

martinguilfoyle

Post by martinguilfoyle » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

All these ideas have some merit but rule 1 dont gt separated. In a river unless your boat is lodged in the bank or elsewhere you will not swim to it with your paddle. If it is a fast boulder strewn river the paddle would be better used to avoid bouncing ones body off the rocks. You have no control over direction or visibility on roughish moving water.
On the sea, the wind will blow your kayak faster than most can swim so unless it is a calm day you are in trouble. If you swim on your back you cannot see the kayak and each time you get to see it it is not going to be where you thought it was. In a 1 foot swell/wave you will not be able to maintain a visual with the kayak.
I am prepared to try anything new and believe that anything is worth trying and having fun messing and testing ideas, no matter how crazy rthey seem, is a great way to learn and improve skills. BUT it is one thing to play in a warm pool and another to to try it on the sea or on he river where it is moving lumpy and cold and a long way from the hot Jaccuzzi. I spend time in the pool doing things that I know I will never do on the open sea and I learn a lot from that BUT there is no replacement for the basics. Do not get separated from your boat especially at sea. Learn rescue s as a group member and self rescue. There are things i can do in the pool or in good conditions but throw me into a tidal race or some overfalls and it is a different matter. I have to go straight back to basics.
I am not knocking all these new ideas and most of them are not new only that they can now be communicated with modern technology but practice them in the real conditions and see if they work before you trust them.
martin Guilfoyle

alanhorner

Post by alanhorner » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

What Martin says is correct of course - in the open sea getting seperated from your kayak is NOT a good idea.

Where I have heard (but not seen) this technique used is in surf conditions
where it\'s possible to get removed from your kayak involuntarily.

This stroke technique could give you some advantage to reach the shore
or indeed swim against a counter current or rip tide.
I suppose it\'s another tune to the repertoire in case of need and certainly if practised might make the difference in a seperation incident.

Alan