Tent opinions

General discussion
ciarancarthy

Tent opinions

Post by ciarancarthy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Can people offer opinions/experience on an ideal tent for a sea kayaker.
I have read the general material on the web site but I still cant really decide what to get. Im wondering what you punters actually use.

Maurice

Re:Tent opinions

Post by Maurice » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Dont make the same mistake as myself, by looking at the design, materials etc alone. Choose one that requires you erect the OUTER tent first, that way keeping the inner home tent dry. This, with our weather should be the first concideration when buying for home use. Summer is short around these parts (but you did`nt need me to tell you that).

ciaranclissmann

Re:Tent opinions

Post by ciaranclissmann » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi all,

this is an unsolicited plug for a tent that I\'ve owned for ten years and had nothing but good experiences with.

Moosejaw (www.moosejaw.com) are selling the Bibler Eldorado tent for 430 euro. This is a small two-man tent, made of a single layer of goretex-type material, with two poles. It goes up in seconds, is high and roomy and strong. I\'ve used it for weeks at a time cycle touring, for days at 6000-7000m in India, including in big winds, and of course in Ireland. It weighs under 2 KG and packs into a couple of litres of volume (really, unbelievably, small). It;s not as light as some marathon tents, but it\'s truly 4-season.

The only downside is there is no porch, so you have to cook inside the tent and get cosy with your rucksack.

I\'m not buying one, since I have one, but this seems
too good to miss, if you\'re looking for a small two-
man.

Ciaran