Roof rack

Items for sale or wanted
brillo

Roof rack

Post by brillo » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Was wonderin if any1 is selling a roof rack for a sea kayak (J-bars are the ones 2 go 4 I believe??)...or duz any1 know where I can pick one up in Cork??? Also, duz any1 think I\'m being a bit ambitious trying to carry a sea kayak on a Fiat Punto?! Any advice very much appreciated.

DesKeaney

Re:Roof rack

Post by DesKeaney » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

A sea boat on a Punto is fine IF you tie the front and back down securely. If you don\'t, there\'s a good chance you\'ll leave boat and roofrack on the road behind you. It starts rocking on bumpy roads, then the wind gets under it and rips the whole lot off.
Buy the best rack you can afford.
We sell good quality J-bars and V-bars by Kari-tek if you\'re in the market.
Des
Deep Blue Sea Kayaking
01-2760263

brillo

Thanks Des, Would you recomend the J-bar over the V-bar? Or does it depend on the type of kayak?

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

I`ve used \"V\" bars for K1 and K2 racing boats, which are very light.
I hav`nt used \"J\" bars but speaking to those who do, I gave heard no complaints. they look to be the most practicle type for the heavier (much) seakayak. Some are made of moulded plastic and others of pressed steel. I know which I`d choose.
Maurice.

brillo

I better go 4 the oul metal ones so I reckon! Thanks 4 that Maurice, clears things up a bit.

Mary

Post by Mary » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Re. Punto.. I\'ve carried up to 3 sea kayaks on the roof of a Fiesta and now carry up to 2 on a polo....always tied down front and rear!
Re. V v J -bars..If you have to load a boat on your own.. I suggest you stay away from J-bars. With a hatch back, you can load a sea kayak, unaided, by placing a cushion or similar to protect the car at the corner of roof and boot and push the boat onto the roof, inline with V bars.
Re. Rack.. Thule make good ones that you can buy fittings to adapt if you change your car... www.thule.com
Mary

DesKeaney

Post by DesKeaney » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Good quality plastic would be my choice as it flexes a little. If you can get steel to EXACTLY match the profile of your boat, then it\'s fine. If not, there\'s a pressure point created.
Poor quality plastic is rubbish because it breaks.
Mary has a point regarding V bars. On the other hand, you can load more boats with J bars.
Kari-tek bars use really good quality plastic!
Des

brillo

What is your price range for the Kari-Trek J/V bars Des? Do you have any in stock at the moment?