Wanted- sea kayak

Items for sale or wanted
bikerdog

Wanted- sea kayak

Post by bikerdog » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Im a beginner- totally green in fact...

Im after something reasonably stable, not too dear and good to learn in. Possibly for multi day trips on the North coast of Ireland/ strangford etc.

Any advice would also be very appreciated.

Thank, Tim Walsh, Greenisland.

walshtimothy@hotmail.com
;)

DesKeaney

Re:Wanted- sea kayak

Post by DesKeaney » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi Tim, when you say \'totally green\' do you mean you\'ve never kayaked before? If so, I\'d strongly recommend you look for training before a boat. Tollymore do very good courses. It would also give you an opportunity to talk to people and try different boats.
We sell boats and equipment as well as doing courses in the Dublin area. Feel free to give me a call if you want advice. I can give you some contacts in your local area at least.
Des Keaney
Deep Blue Sea Kayaking
Office: 00353 1 2760263,
Mobile: 00353 86 8205627

bikerdog

Canoed before and kayaked in canadians years ago- but would definately require training, I was looking at tollymores training courses and they look good. I think theres one in June for sea kayaking. Would I need to go for any other training before going for this training course? ie- start on something less demanding?

Id really appreciate it if you could give me some contacts over here as most of the information i have got has been from the internet and the ISKA website (which is excellent by the way).

Thanks for the reply Des, hopefully talk to you soon.

Cheers, Tim.

DesKeaney

Post by DesKeaney » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Tim, have a word with Oisin Hallisey in Tollymore about what\'s best. 028 437 22158.
Local contacts are Peter Dew in Belfast (pete@garetine.fsnet.co.uk) or Ricky Fulton in Bangor (richard.fulton@nilaw.com)

bikerdog

Hi Des, had a look at your website there- excellent! Some very good prices there.

Thanks for the contacts, I\'ll give them a buzz later in the week.

I was told the Skerray Kayak is a good boat for beginners? Also noticed the wee \"shark\" kayaks you have in from poland- very good looking for the money, are the bulkheads watertight?

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.

Going to go to a pool session this saturday to get me started, how soon should I expect to learn how to roll? Was reading on a notice somewhere that a lot of kayakers dont learn to roll immediately, sometimes it can be up to a year before some people roll? I would have thought that that should be the first thing you learn in case it goes pear shaped out at sea.

Anyway, cheers for the support- myself and my girlfriend are going to holiday in Ireland this year, so if possible Id like to get out on one of your course down there.

All the best Des, Tim Walsh. ;)