Golfer's Elbow Injury

General discussion
EMurphy

Golfer's Elbow Injury

Post by EMurphy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

This repetitive strain injury or inflammation of the medial epicondylitis (inside elbow tendon) is I am told common enough amongst paddlers. Has anyone out there discovered the magic formula for dealing with it? I am currently looking at changing my paddles - angle too severe and blade size too big. I borrowed Tadhg\'s paddles recently (wing epics with no angle and a much smaller blade) and noticed a huge difference. Tadhg, if you are out there could you send me on the spec on those paddles or better still if anyone knows Tadhg\'s phone number, could you send it to me. Thanks.

Eileen Murphy

CarlFarmer

Re:Golfer's Elbow Injury

Post by CarlFarmer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Eileen, I have a set of the same paddles, give me a buzz if you don\'t get Tadhg.

tadhgbarry

Post by tadhgbarry » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

hi eileen,
the paddle is a mid size epic paddle with length lock, see http://www.epicpaddles.com/products/pad ... ng/mid.htm for details.
specs are
Blade Width: 16.4 cm (6.5\")
Blade Length: 50 cm (19.7\")
Surface Area: 750 cm2 (116 in2)

they are available in
Ireland from:

Steve Froese
#10 Orchard Tce Upper Grangegorman Road
Dublin 7
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
Phone: +353 86 6037812
steven_froese@hotmail.com

this guy is an anaesthetist in the mater, i think karl might have some additional contat details for him,

also i have heard that epic have brought out a new wing paddle designed for sea kayaking- hollow cored so you have a better brace and stern rudder but with the usual efficient stroke of the wing- obviously karl has a pair on order- he might let some of us unworthies try it out!!!
regards
tadhg

maria2

Post by maria2 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Using wings calls for a change in paddling technique otherwise golfers elbow is a big problem as well as shoulder injury. For sea kayaking a smaller wing would be recommended especially if you are carrying gear or going into wind. A straighter arm than requiresd for asymetrics will help . Be careful not to lock the arm . Also the rotation is more important when using wings.
A lot of ex racers get this problem as they get older and they all have to adjust ..
My sympathies as the pain is a right pain .
Jim Kennedy

EMurphy

Post by EMurphy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi Y\'all
Thanks for all those wonderful words of advice and practical details. Jim, I guess you\'ll have to set up a mutual support society for all those ageing, difficult and recalcitrant ex racers who haven\'t quite come to terms with the ageing process!

Eileen

ciaranclissmann

Post by ciaranclissmann » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

This may be off topic, but I found that a cranked shaft, as well as a smaller (kinetic touring) blade made a massive difference. I don\'t know if a cranked shaft would wolk with wings, but it\'s great with touring blades.

Eileen, I\'ll lend you mine for a spin, if you want.

Ciaran