Mount for Camera on Kayak

General discussion
padraigsmyth

Mount for Camera on Kayak

Post by padraigsmyth » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi all,

any suggestions of how to safely mount a camera on a kayak / paddle so that it can be easily but safely used?
Camera takes a standard tripod - but while the gorilla mount is adjustable - do not feel comfortable in putting something on the paddle.
As to homebrew suggestions - well, my DIY work still needs attention 10yrs later - so nothing too complicated please.

I have seen some great videos and photos out there so feel confident that this has already been cracked.

Cheers
Padraig

DesKeaney

Re:Mount for Camera on Kayak

Post by DesKeaney » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:49 pm

At a simple level, you can duct tape a camera to a paddle shaft (tie it as well). Works well, only problem is drops on the lens.
Justine Curgenven of This is the Sea DVDs (http://cackletv.com) uses a suction cup (large, probably from a glazier) mounted to two lengths of lendal paddle shaft with universal joints to allow full control, with the camera lens mounted on the end. This is used for video.
Another popular option with good mounting options is the Hero series http://www.goprocamera.com

padraigsmyth

Thanks Des.

The Hero vid just made me want to sneak out early today and hit the sea :) - not going to happen though.

Will probably go the route of ducttape initially once I can splash out on the case to at least protect the camera from the water.

Cheers
Padraig

brianmacmahon

Post by brianmacmahon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Keep it simple lads. You can buy the short metal tripods, shops sometimes use for displaying camera\'s, very cheap. Get 3 plastic zip ties and secure each leg to the deck of your boat, i\'ve mine secured to the bungee\'s. Wrap the tripod with insulation tape, (sea water does awful damage). Screw the camera onto mount, however make sure the camera is secured seperately with its cord to the boat, NOT TO THE SAME BUNGEE AS THE TRIPOD - redundency is the name of safety. Hope this helps.

Having the camera on your person or on the paddle makes for blurred pictures. ;) Mac

padraigsmyth

Cheers Mac

CarlFarmer

Post by CarlFarmer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Do a search on Google for a Gorillapod.
Best thing since sliced bread...

:whistle: