Rob Coffey Round Ireland

General discussion
afinn

Re: Rob Coffey Round Ireland

Post by afinn » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:19 am

Curses, I have to work in the morning,
Wow he did well, he must be going to overnight in Howth,though that is a fair paddle in itself wonder would he pull into Malahide.
I;d say Mick is keeping an eye here..

DaveWalsh

Post by DaveWalsh » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:06 am

He finished last evening but I didn't hear until too late. Sorry Alan.
DW

afinn

Post by afinn » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:31 pm

Thanks Dave, not to worry, we were with him in spirit...

patriciacarraher

Post by patriciacarraher » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:31 pm

Great achievement, well done Rob.

Trish

pompeypaul

Post by pompeypaul » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:12 pm

Just to clear up the "mystery kayaker" in the red kayak.......that was myself Paul Alexander from Kilkenny...I left Kilmore Quay on a solo unsupported kayak journey round Ireland and 62 days later pulled in again on the slip at Kilmore Quay. Sorry to have missed you Rob and anyone else on route but many thanks to Leo Mangan who I met near Pollshone and also to David Walsh who so kindly forwarded his book following my completion......Kind regards and happy paddling :)

Chancer

Post by Chancer » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:39 am

Well done Paul and Rob. Are you a sea kayaker Paul or is it mostly rivers you do. I hope we can read about both your exploits somewhere at some time. Solo, unsupported in 62 days, awesome!! Oh, and in a red plastic too!!

pompeypaul

Post by pompeypaul » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:46 pm

Anything other than plastic would not have survived some of the beaches/rocks i dragged her up on ! so in my view "hats off" to the Dagger Charleston 15ft (nickname "Headlong Flight" )that did me proud!
Used to do a bit of white water some years back in UK Wales mainly but in recent years stick to the sea mainly dabbling around the Bunmahon/ Waterford coastline which is amazing....
Not sure about scribbling down a book ! I did however keep daily diary notes so who knows!!
regards..

DaveWalsh

Post by DaveWalsh » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:39 am

Well done Paul.
On 30th/31st July I went up north once I knew Rob was on the east coast and accessible, to provide a dry overnight and some hot food etc. Ricky Fulton also visited. We overnighted in my campervan just north of Balleygalley. Next morning Rob set off 0530 trying to make the tide on the Ards peninsula (he was too late) and I set out for home, office, work.
200 yards into the trip I saw a tent and a kayak
I was completely out of provisions so I let Paul sleep.
The Leo Mangan mentioned is one of my "best pals in the whole word" so I hope he looked after you. The book was his idea, his present to you. Nice spot Poulshone.
Small world or what?
DWalsh

pompeypaul

Post by pompeypaul » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:04 pm

Dave I can say that Leo was fantastic and gave me a fantastic cooked breakfast and allowed me use of his shower which was only the second one of my 2 month circumnavigation ! Really loving your excellent book with all its detail and in many ways wished I had had it tucked in one of my dry bags during my paddle !
Kind regards....