Tides,again

General discussion
markhughes

Re:Tides,again

Post by markhughes » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Dont be so shy Alan, say what you really mean !!!

ciarancarthy

Post by ciarancarthy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

There may be some tuition you can get on internet bulletin board etiquette. I\'ve already scheduled time for an L4 course.

ciarancarthy

Mike,

Clearly this is far more complex than I had originally thought. I\'m going to need a few hours to study it actually. Thanks (you and everybody else) for the pointers . Know where I can get one of these \"Pilots\" ? (Almost afraid to ask)

Ciaran

CarlFarmer

Post by CarlFarmer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

The only tuition you need for this board is a thick skin...

DaveWalsh

Post by DaveWalsh » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Mike, I can\'t really help you. My offer to look it up and give you the info was assuming Cuan was in the island of Ireland. You will have to look up an authority yourself. That said, I know the sound of Luing, lovely place. I sailed it, and tricky waters they are. It is next door to the Corryvreckan, where certainly, local rules defy general principles. There is a huge imbalance between the tides advancing and retreating inside and outside Jura and Luing, so yes, that area is a law unto itself.
Mike, draw a graph of the speed of a tide accelerating, slowly at first, then faster and faster, then the rate of acceleration slowing and eventually stopping, then the decelleration working in reverse. It looks like a child\'s drawing of a rounded hill, with both slacks at ground zero and maximum flow rate the summit. Now draw four paralell lines at bottom, 1/3, 2/3 and the top. The three bands created demonstrate the 50/90 rule, with each band representing an hour, the first three hours on one side of the hill and the other three (of the six hour cycle) on the other side. You can see that successively the tide is performing at (an average of) 10, 50, 90, 90, 50 and 10 percent of maximum flow. The 50/90 rule is a widely used rule. For the avoidance of doubt, if anyone doesn\'t get this, I am NOT trying again.
Ciaran, are you talking of the island of Ireland. If so, you might consider www.oileain.org for info on how to get the info you need. I admit to a certain bias in favour of the particular publication there available by return of post, but if interested, it may help.
DWalsh

ciarancarthy

Dave

I looked in Oileain for any slack water offsets for Carlingford. I couldn\'t find this. That could be my mistake. People suggested it was in Oileain itself.

Ciaran

DaveWalsh

Post by DaveWalsh » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Ciaran,
Page 29, final paragraph, first sentence - \"Tides run strongly in the lough entrance near the island, where the ebb and flow start with local HW and LW, which are much the same as Dublin.\"
DWalsh

DesKeaney

Post by DesKeaney » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Deep Blue Sea Kayaking have copies in stock of the Irish Coast Pilot and both books of Sailing Directions for Ireland.
And, in case anyone hasn\'t noticed, we also do Level 4 courses. Just completed one this weekend and the next is scheduled for 8/9 October.

ciarancarthy

Post by ciarancarthy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:47 pm

Yeah I read that bit. What does hat mean in terms of slack times? Slack coincides with HW and LW?

DesKeaney

Post by DesKeaney » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:47 pm

Yes. So, in Carlingford, the flow at the entrance starts to ebb out around LOCAL HW.