advice wanted on sea canoeing!

General discussion
Rosie

advice wanted on sea canoeing!

Post by Rosie » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi, am planning to buy a sea canoe (sit on top pref), for recreational use as opposed to touring/surfing... would like to get an all-round type.. have a little experience but not much, would like to learn the ropes with a sit-on sea canoe and perhaps progress to something more adventurous when I have a bit more experience.. would love some advice on what type of canoe/equipment to go for (have been considering rtm mambo) and what to look out for if buying a second hand one... (donegal area if anyone is selling!)
noticed a comment in one of these posts not recommending sit-on type canoes... any other opinions on this?

Thanks a mill.

Rosie

Re:advice wanted on sea canoeing!

Post by Rosie » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Thanks for all the advice.. from everyone I’ve talked to there definitely seems to be big differences of opinions on the pros and cons of sit-on-tops…. However, as Im only going to be pottering about as opposed to navigating the Swilly I reckon the sit-on is the easiest introduction to sea canoeing, ready to go and less of the technicalities… also I’m only going to be tackling summer seas for now so hopefully should manage without a wetsuit or with a shortie.. Hynser, thanks for the recommendations on boats and offers, unfortunately I don’t think a trip to Cork is on the cards this summer as incredibly busy! Maybe for the next boat!

Would be grateful to hear if anyone knows of any 2nd hands for sale, pref Donegal area, or any more feedback on the great sit-on debate! Cheers.