INFO ON KINVARRA NAVIGATION EXCERCISE

Information about ISKA meets
martinguilfoyle

INFO ON KINVARRA NAVIGATION EXCERCISE

Post by martinguilfoyle » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:48 pm

HI ALL
For those taking part in thenaqvigation trip/competition/excercise;
Briefing will take place at 0900hrs at the hostel. Teams and mentors will be sorted. Each team can nominate aleader if they wish.
The start will be from Parkmore pier and parking is limited so be prepared to double up on drive from hostel to pier approx 1K.
First team will be onthe water at 1000 prompt and others at 10 min intervals and you will be timed over the course.
Equipment required is for a lev 4 paddle YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT YOU NEED.There will be incidents along thewaywhich you will have to deal with; and points will be awarded or deducted.
Each team will have a VHF and FLARES. NO GPS but phones are acceptable.
At the start of each leg you will be given enough info to get you to the next point. It may be a grid ref or true bearing and the occassional clue.
The area of operations is between Ballyvaughan and Kinvarra and as far north as Tawin island.A small bit of pre prep.that can be done at home; check tides for the area, get weather forecast, brush up on map reading and course plotting skills.
There is a prize for the winning team.
ALthough we have set this as a competition it is meant to be an enjoyable and informative experience, so get stuck in.
If poss. can people who are going to participate text or call me on 086 3033406 to confirm numbers and we organise mentors and teams. The trip is approx 15miles so strong lev3 and lev 4 paddlers will have no bother.
Can you pass on this info to anyone you think is comming west and may not see this.
Thanks to all
martin guilfoyle

alanhorner

Re:INFO ON KINVARRA NAVIGATION EXCERCISE

Post by alanhorner » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:48 pm

Martin I will be there OK.
Have 25 copies of local chart laminated & ready to go

Anybody going - please think how you will secure charts in wind
as we don\'t want to loose them.

Can offer lift to 1 or 2 paddlers + Kayaks
Leaving/returning Bray area
contact me on 086-6869019 if you are in need.

Alan