General discussion
afinn

Re: Solar Power for kayakers

Post by afinn » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:18 am

We will accept a majority verdict Dave :D

afinn

Post by afinn » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:32 pm

Hi Dave, they have a couple of these left in my Local shop, are they sorta ok? Do a turn like? I was thinking of getting one.

chris ted

Post by chris ted » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:33 am

Go buy it Alan...it charges my smart phone up.handy for back up.

afinn

Post by afinn » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:19 pm

Thanks Chris.....
Have to get over to t'yall soon

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:54 am

If you are off the grid for perhaps 4 or 5 days only and looking for an easy option to charge your mobile, you should look at the Anker external batteries. They come with different capacities and can give anything from 1 to many charges.

I use an Anker Astro 9600, which will give me 4 full charges. It is not much bigger than a smart phone and while the unit itself might take 4-5 hours to charge, it will fully charge the phone from zero within an hour and a half.

Whether work trips or kayaking weekends away, it is very compact and an excellent accessory.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Portatile ... nker+astro

john.ruston

Post by john.ruston » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:22 pm

I have an American device for backpacking etc. Is 12v 12watt. Will bring along to ISKA north meet on 18th July. I will be with Yellow plastic Capella (Gino) - ask me to show it ! Will need sunshine to work !

DaveWalsh

Post by DaveWalsh » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:52 am

The Lidl thing didn't work for me, but there is always a chance its me, not it. Maybe there is a knack to using them. There could be a plastic film across the face of it or something. If you charge it up by cable, a bit pointless I know, it does charge a phone once its full, but no amount of sunshine gets more than a hint of a charge into it and certainly not enough to cause the tide to flow in the direction of the 087. Maybe the two have to be connected while it is sitting in the sun or something, but leave this yoke in the sun on a good day, all day, there's nothing much in it come evening after work. I've been trying for ages to give it a chance. You get what you pay for ?
I went on line for one other type but it seemed to be American. Is it practical to buy something like that all that way away ? Is afinn in America ? The hint is he (she) is not local?
Josie Gibbons has a new toy and it worked for him, a three panel thing that opens out. Probably you need something that size to be worth it.
Conor, I have a thing called a Power Monkey, holds four charges I am told. Always had the chance to recharge after one anyway so don't know. A much simpler solution for weekends etc.
My initial thoughts were to find a simple solution for not having a camera with AA batteries on a two week planned trip. These days video is almost expected on top of ordinary photos, which is power hungry, so I still need a solution, only not, now, this year.
This topic is really interesting for the very challenged like me, so keep the advices coming.
DW

davidglasgow

Post by davidglasgow » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:45 am

I have one of the Aldi/Lidl ones from about a year ago, in direct sunlight it charges up my iphone 4 almost as fast as the mains charger, much much slower in dull conditions.
Also have a Firefly mobile lamp and solar panel. the panel is about 5x4 inches and 1.5watts, comes with a baggie of adaptors for phones etc. I think Ed at Tipi Adventures does them.
Of course having to depend on sunlight these days....

DaveWalsh

Post by DaveWalsh » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:11 pm

Maybe I got a Monday morning one. It doesn't work. Full stop.
DW