Phizz Quizz 20

General discussion
DaveWalsh

Re:Phizz Quizz 20

Post by DaveWalsh » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Human error, Knotman, sorry, not ideas above my station in life.
An explanation will be published whenever this photo is pinged, or after Wednesday evening, whichever is sooner (this photo features in a certain east coast slide show mid next week).
DW

Chancer

Post by Chancer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

As usual Dave you have the fuller information. I refer to the bow and stern setup of the boat as that is what interested me in the photo. You will find almost all Swedish kayaks have a steeply plunging bow and stern which makes them track well but are harder to turn thereby requiring a rudder. This bow arrangement cuts easily through the waves unlike the British Form with its flared bow which tends to rise and plunge in a big sea and in this way gives the drier ride though Swedish boats tend to pearl in a big following sea where its blunt stern is caught by big following seas. The Skim Distance boat which was reviewed in a sea kayaking magazine on release was panned for this tendency. The cockpit position is as you say what identifies the Swede Form kayak making it faster and giving it more stability. See Skim Kayaks for extreme examples of the stern arrangement and Point 65 Kayaks for a general example.

Post edited by: chancer, at: 2012/12/02 21:37Post edited by: chancer, at: 2012/12/02 21:39

DaveWalsh

I\'ve had another private guess that pings it (and I\'ve gone back to thinking maybe it was) as right to begin with and if so it is a very historic shot (for those who like clues .....)
Certainly its one of two islands visible from each other.
DW

tee

Post by tee » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Friar and High?

DaveWalsh

Tee
One always must say from what direction one is looking, don\'t you know ?
DW

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

The irony of that last comment considering your previous remarks about the photo..................

I would have thought Friar / High with Boffin off in the distance however, the rock in the water to the right of the main island would suggest otherwise?

Hints?

DaveWalsh

Conor, I do even humility better than consistency.
I am going to announce the answer, as best I know it, tonight at a meeting of Feckers to mark their 10th anniversary.
Such excitement !
I will post the answer later tonight (or do you want to keep on going, with more clues etc ?). You\'d have to promise not to talk to any eastcoasters, the feckers.
DW

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Clues, more clues I beg of you and feck the feckers if they can\'t shut the feck up :ohmy:

p.s. and a happy anniversary too ;)Post edited by: conorsmith, at: 2012/12/05 17:54

ciaran

Post by ciaran » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

is it the chain of islands on the way out to Tory, one of them Inisbofin ?

The water\'s too calm, but the cliffy but not too high look is about right...

DaveWalsh

Sorry CC, no.
And its not Friar or High, though I confess it was a good guess.
The reason I supplied the shot \"inverted\" was that a private opinion was expressed that it was High from the north, from direction Inishark. It couldn\'t have been from the Streamstown side as there are highly visible and recognisable clefts and fissures on that side, unmistakable. From the North it had to be inverted, and there are certain similarities, so in all humility etc. I nearlt talked myself into it.
Anyway I paged the oracle and was told for certain it couldn\'t be, not high enough, and look closely, there is a little lump on the horizon extreme righthandside. That must mean a rock or shoal out SW of High, and for sure there is nothing out there short of Argentina.
So the first version was right, and there is an explanation for the little lump, though an OS map won\'t show it. You need chart 2420 to piece it together, or know the terrain.
Any more clues and I\'d be naming it.
DW
PS Its officially as of today a felony to contact an eastcoaster about this or for an eastcoaster to jump in !