phizz quiz 18?

General discussion
DaveWalsh

Re:phizz quiz 18?

Post by DaveWalsh » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Tee, not to be ageist but do I qualify as a boy ????
You want a clue ?
I got your picture straight away partly because I misinterpreted the clue you yourself gave right at the start - \"two for the price of one .........\"
I thought you meant the island had two names, and there aren\'t that many of them about. You later clarified you also wanted the place where the shot was taken, so people may be stuck on the foreground island, which surely very very few will know. Probably you\'d have to be a fixated nerd writing a book on the subject to bother with what appears on any map to be ever so humble a spot (which is actually a lovely spot as these things can work out)?
But, but, but the target island is well known and in a well known location and should be easily identified. I am sure if people saw it from another angle they\'d get it straight away.
DW

tee

Post by tee » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

DaveWalsh wrote:
Tee, not to be ageist but do I qualify as a boy ????
well, given that it\'s something I\'m not prepared to check, I will take your word for it. As for the smart part, I\'m not prepared to share my subjective opinion on that.
... people may be stuck on the foreground island,
I disagree - if they can identify the grassy knoll, the foreground island is a simple map reading exercise
... if people saw it from another angle they\'d get it straight away.
indeed they probably would

Anyway, to clarify your clue...
Both islands have english and Irish names
In the case of one, the english name is a direct translation of the Irish, in the other, it is not.

if I have to give another clue, yis all get nul points.....

tee

one island is named after a saint but both island names refer to animalsPost edited by: tee, at: 2012/01/17 14:02

tee

the picture was taken just after a new moon (so now you can derive the approximate direction)

tee

different view from the same vantage point. Surely this will clinch it?

[img size=800]http://www.irishseakayakingassociation. ... izz18a.jpg[/img]

DaveWalsh

In Oileáin, the target island is given two names, one OS the other colloquial. The colloquial name is also derived from an animal.
If someone doesn\'t immediately put Gerry out his quandary I intend to drive to Galway this evening and shoot him.
Knotman, please ...............
DWalsh

DaveWalsh

Folks,
After new moon = spring tides.
On the west coast that means HW morning and evening.
We have LW here, so lunchtime, which is actually when Gerry normally appears to his followers anyway.*****
The sun is clearly to his left or almost so, so even Wilhelm can work out the direction he is looking ?
Máiréad must have given Gerry the shivers early on ?
And have you figured out why he was talking about smart boys ?
And Jamie, you are there too. Frightened rocks indeed.
Knotman, forgodssake, save us from this, something intelligent, please .......
DW
***** The more so on a working day ?Post edited by: davewalsh, at: 2012/01/17 21:53

tee

the grassy knoll is Cruach na Caoile as viewed from Oilean an Bhromaigh.
Caoile is a corruption of the saints name Coelan, the island is commonly known as Deer Island. Oilean an Bhromaigh translates as Colt Island.

DW and Jamie were the only ones who knew the location and get the \"prize\".
Mairead was close; right animal, wrong saint and crucially the wrong coast so no cigar (but maybe a cigarette butt..)

Clues - so many....
Very low tide + high sun to the left = facing west
Smart bo(u)y - there are only two so if you recognised the clue, you had it. The buoy is in the picture but got lost in resizing the image - it\'s just visible but you have to know it\'s there
Frightened rock - Sceirde

The smudge on the horizon to the left are the Mile rocks, not a ship.
The rocks are granite (either geo was winding us up or there\'s an imposter about )
Finally the view of D4West (otherwise known as Roundstone and environs) cleary was of no help - sorry about that.

Over to you, DW for Phizz Quiz #19

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Feck you anyway Dave Walsh - with your knowledge you should be banned from being allowed to compete to give the rest of us poor mortals a chance!

The fact that we met you on MacDara\'s last summer, I suppose I should have no excuses :(

I have just seen the second picture now and immediately recognised Errisbeg West. Your reference to the island from which the picture was taken is what threw me. At Mason Head on the OSI and Google Earth, I thought Colt Island was actually part of the mainland - perhaps I should look a little closer and read the names. From the other \"real\" islands, the angles were just wrong.

Right Tee, go again please.

tee

that\'s a bit unfair to Dave. I put up the picture in the full knowledge that DW would recognise it immediately but also that he would let it run for a bit.

He wasn\'t a contestant and acted more as a supervising PQ master, throwing in the odd clue or three to try to gee people up (failed miserably at that, no more than myself)