Banjaxed Skeg Wire !

General discussion
brianmacmahon

Banjaxed Skeg Wire !

Post by brianmacmahon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Hi all,

Need some advice. I have a faulty skeg wire, the wire is kinked where the wire enters the skegbox. Have tried to realign it but no joy !
Is there any way of remedying the situation or does the wire have to be replaced ?. Is there anywhere handy that I can bring the boat to get it sorted or is it strictly DIY.

Greatly appreciate any advice out there !!
:unsure:

johnbrophy

Re:Banjaxed Skeg Wire !

Post by johnbrophy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Hi Brian,

Not having the best memory, I have bent my skeg wire a couple of times. Not too difficult to fix. I managed to straighten it by hand well enough that it works fine.

Here is a website that describes it for an Aquanaut. Hopefully it\'ll have some relevance for you.

http://www.ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk/sk ... repair.htm

Good luck,

JohnPost edited by: Johnbrophy, at: 2011/06/18 15:22

brianmacmahon

Thanks a million John very helpful. I like the furniture polish idea very good. Will attempt another repair later !!

Thanks again !!

Conal

Post by Conal » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Brian,
Over the winter, I was driven to distraction by skeg wires kinking at the slider as a result of gravel, ice etc in the skegbox.
I got new wires from Des at Deep Blue. Only after buying , installing and kinking two ( or was it three) new wires did I try the simple expedient of reversing the wire. The kinked bit of wire was now screwed into the skeg and everything worked fine, effectively doubling the life of the wire
Your kinking seems to be at a different point on the wire , but if, having reversed the wire, the kink ends up inside the conduit, it still might work.
Best of luck
Conal

brianmacmahon

Excellent advice Conal, it makes great sense to reverse the cable. I\'ve since dismantled the skeg and removed the wire. I\'ve ironed out the kinks as best I can manually and liberally lubed with the magic ingredient \"Mr. Sheen\" Furniture Polish......this has worked wonders !!! The whole Skeg action is much smoother.....so far so good everything appears to be back to working order.

Down the road I might invest in a skeg cable from Necky. That cable is solid as opposed to coiled. I kayaked a Necky for many years and never once did the skeg fail...their skeg systems are bomb proof. I can\'t understand why other manufacturers don\'t just copy it.....it is more expensive...but it saves on a lot of warrenty problems. Apparently it has been retro-fitted into boats before with no problems. Necky in the US sell the cable and the attachments for around $50. Good investment me thinks !!!

Thanks again for the help !