Buying a radio

General discussion
ciarancarthy

Buying a radio

Post by ciarancarthy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Where could a fella get a VHF radio around Dundalk?
Which one is best for sea kayaking. Can you get a waterproof one or would you get a separate bag?
Ciaran

ciarancarthy

Re:Buying a radio

Actually, I have phoned around a few of the Dublin Marine Supply places. One brnad thta keeps coming up is the Silva (sp) S12 at 150 euro. Theres a Cobra at 75 euro but they claim the S12 is \"completely waterproof\". Is this true atthat price, or should I just get the Cobra and a good bag for it.

DesKeaney

Post by DesKeaney » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

The Silva S12 is waterproof and is v.good value at E150. The big weakness is the cover for the charging connection. It\'s a very small and easily knocked off piece. I use this radio in a bag. the only problem I have come across is that it tends to turn itself off when the battery has been used.
The only truly waterproof radio suitable for sea kayaking I have come across is the Navico. However, my version is very old and suffers from a NiCad battery which is v.poor in comparison with the modern lithium.

Redhead

Post by Redhead » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

How much is a new Navico Des? Would you recommend this so?

ciarancarthy

Chatting to the local sub aqua club since. They use ICOM which they have purchased through the US (danger of being hit for tax). $150 for a truly waterproof radio. They claim not to need a bag with it. Anybody tried buying from the states?

CarlFarmer

Post by CarlFarmer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

I have an ICOM IC-M1EURO V and it is waterproof. I have had it a couple of years now and have never used a bag with it.

The only flaw I have found with them is the contacts on the battery corrode if you do not wash them regularly with fresh water.

They are not the cheapest of the ICOM range and this one has the long life battery option which means I only charge this once every three or four weeks but they are good.

DesKeaney

ICOM M1EURO V is an excellent radio. However, it does suffer from the corrosion of the terminals as outlined above. Also, the knobs get jammed up. You must rinse it for a couple of minutes EVERY TIME YOU USE IT. I got poor and expensive service when faced with the above problems and ended up dumping the unit. They can be got in Western Marine in Dublin for around E285 I think.
I\'m not sure the Navico is still available. It was a brick - big and heavy but had waterproof buttons instead of knobs and the battery terminals were completely saltwater proof.
Not much use to you I\'m afraid - the bottom line is that manufacturers make radios to withstand an occasional dunking, not the constant immersion we generate. I always use a bag.

Bags are not bullet proof either. I wouldn\'t recommend using a non-waterproof unit and depending on a bag. The best bag I have found is the Aquapac VHF case. It\'s can be punctured but is reasonably robust and small holes can be sealed with electrical tape. The Aquapac Pro is tougher and more expensive but doesn\'t work for kayakers. I\'d be happy to hear any recommendations people might have for bullet proof bags.

The problem of buying through the US is getting good local service(and the possibility of getting caught for duty and VAT!). We\'ve stopped selling VHFs because the service problems for kayakers are too much trouble.

ocallaghan

Post by ocallaghan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Out of interest...do you have to do a course when buying a VHF radio? Can you get a book on the subject or is there a legal requirement for certification?

ciarancarthy

So Des would you rate the SILVA S12 against the ICOM and Navico ? Would it be a fairly good investment?

DesKeaney

Re comparisons: I trust the ICOM more than the Silva. In the bag, it\'s never given any trouble and, as Carl says, the battery is great. I\'m not sure the Navico is still on the market.

Re licences: legally you need a Short Range Certificate and a Ships Radio Licence. The course for the former a bit painful as it covers much more than how to operate a handheld VHF. Nice to know, not always applicable to us but you have to jump through the hoops.
Having said that, don\'t be put off buying a radio by this. The Coastguard are happy to receive all traffic reports so, as long as you know the etiquette, you\'re grand. For info, we cover this on our Level 4 course even though it\'s not on the syllabus.
A VHF is probably the best safety tool available but, like all technology, it can fail and shouldn\'t compensate for a lack of trip planning and safety awareness on the part of the paddler.