D Walsh, Question.

General discussion
Maurice

D Walsh, Question.

Post by Maurice » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Having spent last weekend in the Burren of Clare, part of my bed time reading consisted of the latest TnaD (not to mention buckets of Mills & Boon), I found your article on gear very interesting but can you drop a hint as to what is a KISU? and how might one be beamed up by a n EPIRB.
Yours in ignorance,
Maurice. :huh:

DesKeaney

Re:D Walsh, Question.

Post by DesKeaney » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

KISU is Karrmor Instructor Survival Unit, as far as I know. It\'s essentially a nylon cocoon. The sizes differ,3-4 person or 6-8 being the most common. Stand together, pull the KISU over all and sit down, pulling the KISU under you. The temperature goes from cold to roasting in about 30 seconds. Packs up small and an essential piece of kit for an expeditioner or leader. The executive versions even have a window.
EPIRB stands for Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon. It sends a signal to a receiving station when you press the panic button.
There are two types:
121.5 MHz and 406MHz
Local chandlers no longer stock the 121.5 MHz. There were something like 2500 false alarms in the UK last year and basically, an activation on 121.5 isn\'t taken seriously any more. A 406 MHz starts around €500.
Here is some info from the US Coast Guard site on EBIRBs
121.5 MHz
These are the most common and least expensive type of EPIRB, designed to be detected by overflying commercial or military aircraft. Satellites were designed to detect these EPIRBs, but are limited for the following reasons:
1.Satellite detection range is limited for these EPIRBs (satellites must be within line of sight of both the EPIRB and a ground terminal for detection to occur,
2.Frequency congestion in the band used by these devices cause a high satellite false alert rate (99.8%); consequently, confirmation is required before search and rescue forces can be deployed,
Because of location ambiguities and frequency congestion in this band, two or more satellite passes are necessary to determine if the signal is from an EPIRB and to determine the location of the EPIRB, delaying rescue by an average of 4 to 6 hours. In some cases, a rescue can be delayed as long as 12 hours.
COSPAS-SARSAT is expected to cease detecting alerts on 121.5 MHz, perhaps by 2008.

406 MHz
The 406 MHz EPIRB was designed to operate with satellites. The signal frequency (406 MHz) has been designated internationally for use only for distress. Other communications and interference, such as on 121.5 MHz, is not allowed on this frequency. Its signal allows a satellite local user terminal to accurately locate the EPIRB (much more accurately -- 2 to 5 km vice 25 km -- than 121.5/243 MHz devices), and identify the vessel (the signal is encoded with the vessel\'s identity) anywhere in the world (there is no range limitation). These devices are detectable not only by COSPAS-SARSAT satellites which are polar orbiting, but also by geostationary GOES weather satellites. EPIRBs detected by the GEOSTAR system, consisting of GOES and other geostationary satellites, send rescue authorities an instant alert, but without location information unless the EPIRB is equipped with an integral GPS receiver. EPIRBs detected by COSPAS-SARSAT (e.g. TIROS N) satellites provide rescue authorities location of distress, but location and sometimes alerting may be delayed as much as an hour or two. These EPIRBs also include a 121.5 MHz homing signal, allowing aircraft and rescue craft to quickly find the vessel in distress.

Maurice

Wow!
Every day is a school day. Thanks for the enlightnment. Mo.

Maurice

Forgive me my typo! should be Mills & Boone, found under the Uncurable Romantic section in Easons.
Suppose you thought that lot was found on the top shelf of the magazine rack.

DaveWalsh

Post by DaveWalsh » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Sorry to be so slow responding Mo. The correct spelling I think is Kishoo. I can\'t remember what the letters stand for, but Karrimor is the first right enough. It is really just a lightweight flysheet, with a breathing hole on top. It was invented and became standard kit for walking groups after a major tragedy in the Cairngorms in about 1973. A teacher led 18 children to their deaths from exposure when caught in a whiteout. They all had bivvy bags, but bivvy bags for one have little insulation or thermal value. Group bivvy bags are better that way. Its a bit over-familiar, but you live to forget the embarrassment. Climbers of my generation carried two man kishoos before the term was invented. Then they were called Zidarsky Sacs after their Polish inventor. Zidarskies featured in twp epic adventure stories recounted in the 1986 IMCJ, if interested. Absolutely nothing is as sweaty muggy and smelly as the inside of a Zidarsky or Kishoo, especially when people are smoking inside them (I\'ve done it, I kid you not). They are significant lifesavers.
Don\'t get depressed by Des\' put down of 121.5 EPIRBs. True, an accidental alarm in Kinnegad won\'t be responded to anymore. When they came out first there were endless urban myths about helicopters zeroing in on garden sheds in Rathfarnham and so on, and a 98% misuse rate doesn\'t surprise me. Nevertheless, get stranded somewhere out to sea or on a remote island, pull the pin, and the cavalry will still come. On an extended trip, the possession of EPIRB should be recorded with the Coastguard same as flares, VHF, 087 etc. Also, if you have sent up your flares, and/or for any reason the cavalry is actually coming, they will find you in minutes instead of hours if they detect the signal. 121.5 are cheap and small and worth it, a bit like yourself, Mo, only different.
Our Eileen probably has two !
DWalsh

Maurice

Ta for that, Fully familiar with the things but if ever looking for same I would never have asked for the KISU, or what ever. I have, however, been heard to say, on occasion, \" Give us that f%%%in thing, I`m F***in freezing (small bodies cool quickly)\". Whats in a name, eh?

Grand so!!!!

P.S. Our Eileen?

Regards Mo.