Cork Ocean to City race Sat 4th June

General discussion
emullan

Cork Ocean to City race Sat 4th June

Post by emullan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

www.oceantocity.com

\" Cork Harbour calls all coastal rowing boats to compete in the first Ocean to City Race on the 4th of June 2005, in Cork, Ireland.
Ocean to City is the maritime highlight in the programme celebrating Cork 2005 - European Capital of Culture.
Over 250 crews, both local and international, will race, on a handicapped pursuit basis, over 15 nautical miles from Cork\'s scenic harbour mouth to its historic city centre.
The event is open to all fixed seat, traditional type coastal rowing/paddling boats.
Prizes for overall winners, for fastest time and many other categories.
Come and row with us in a wave borne celebration of muscle powered movement\".

Sounds like a great day, so who\'s coming? There\'s Myself, Ian, Cara, Mark(???) and Barbara so far. Unfortunatley, when I printed off the application form today I saw that the closing date was last Saturday. Decide quickly!

Regards,
Elaine

MOFarrell

Re:Cork Ocean to City race Sat 4th June

Post by MOFarrell » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Yes - my entry is confirmed.

Mick O\'F

Sean

Post by Sean » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

I have been in contact with the organiser re Sea Kayakers entering the race.€15 a head and all are welcome provided some sort of 3rd party insurance is held by the kayaker. ISKA membersip does not cover the insurance angle.
For people entering, the \"LEGAL Course\" follows the main channel past Cobh once the bouy at Roches Point is rounded.
Sea Kayakers cannot win the overall prize but can win a catagory prize.
There is a get together on Fri evening in Crosshaven and camping is available as part of the package at the Rugby club grounds also at Crosshaven.
The closing date for entries has been pushed out to facilitate late entries.
Jim Kennedy has kindly offered boats at no charge to anyone who might like to take part including two doubles.Book directly through Jim.
Sean

emullan

Post by emullan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Sean,

I\'m perplexed at the ins. requirement for sea kayaks. It\'s a bit like bikes being required to have 3rd party ins to cycle on roads. :S

If a fibreglass kayak hits anything other than another fibreglass kayak (and then probably only if bow/stern hits centre of side at speed), the fibreglass kayak will be the only one that gets damaged.

The additional expense, inconvience and pointless of this requirement for sea kayaks will probably put me off doing the race.

Incidently, what kind of ins. do people generally have for thei kayaks?
I have no specific insurance for mine - am I alone in this? If the thing is stolen from outside the house (or from inside the garage when we get a roof on it) the house ins will cover it. I pay for all damage/loss away from home.

Elaine

H2Obaby

Post by H2Obaby » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Just on the phone with Padraig @ the Ocean2City office regarding insurance...

They will work on getting sea kayakers covered somehow. In the meantime, they\'re asking any interested paddlers to go ahead and submit your entry forms. If they can\'t insure us themselves, they will refund the application fees.

Hope to see a big ISKA presence there!

Cara

EMurphy

Post by EMurphy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Jim

Just wondering what sea kayaks you have available for rent?

Eileen

maria2

Post by maria2 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Afraid all of the kayaks I had available for the race have been given out to the first people who asked for them, at no charge.
Hope you all enjoy the event.
Jim

Don

Post by Don » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Update re-insurance situation see www.oceantocity.com NEWS section

MOFarrell

Post by MOFarrell » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

The Ocean to City results are at:
http://www.oceantocity.com/html/results.html

Sea kayaking was well represented with 26 finishers. The event was well organised - I had to depart before the post race BBQ.
The course was windier than you would want (it was shortened to 12 N-Miles) but conditions were good. You should definately put this on your calendar for next year.