Icom-M71 VHF Radio

General discussion
DaveWalsh

Icom-M71 VHF Radio

Post by DaveWalsh » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:36 am

Not having used the above for ages but having the best of intentions (as always) on recent holidays, I put it on the charge and got a flashing orange light, which it isn't supposed to do.
Long story short it didn't get to get used.
Before I buy a new battery (fingers crossed) can anyone advise is there an ICOM outlet in Ireland.
I am old fashioned and would much prefer to stand somewhere at a counter and have human contact.
Western Marine used to ..............
Any magic bullets anyone?
Thanks
DWalsh

johnd

Re: Icom-M71 VHF Radio

Post by johnd » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:38 pm

I have had similar problems with an I-Com radio. Turned out that the battery connections where corroded. I ended up replacing that battery but I have since heard of others repairing the connections with a bit of soldering.

I got my replacement battery from CH Marine in Cork. It is not over the counter as requested but they were very helpful over the phone.

John

knotman

Post by knotman » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:34 pm

Dave, had same problems with corrosion way back. Willie Collins came to my rescue giving me a holder for 6 AA batteries {thanks Willie} which is of course designed to fit the Icom. So simple. No corroded terminals to solder. I don't bother with the rechargeable battery anymore. The simpler the better. Also have a simple replacement [6AA batteries please], purchasable in most stores, even island ones, to get you back in contact. Really simplified matters. KISS principle. Or in our case KISSK principle.

Back in the day Icom had super customer care. They just sent me a replacement battery, no charge and no questions asked. Was very impressed. Sennen.

PS: Couldn't agree more with the over the counter contact. My preferred method. You can ask them their name and even have a conversation.

DaveWalsh

Post by DaveWalsh » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:37 pm

Thanks John, very helpful. The trick is to do the needful before it inevitably goes on the back burner, the natural order of things.
DW

martinguilfoyle

Post by martinguilfoyle » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:08 pm

Hi just my 2 cents worth. I use the 6 AA battery cassette and it is very good but be aware that your radio uses them very quickly when in frequent use and on high power. I usually buy a fresh lot before heading away.

DaveWalsh

Post by DaveWalsh » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:22 pm

I never saw the response from Knotman. I was even at the stage of wondering was he unwell or something.
Delighted to know that Martin is alive and well. Greetings to you, sir.
They both have the same message, that AA batteries fare better than ICOM batteries, but look, I've jumped.
And how anyway do you get a converter kit?
Wilhelm (Jawohl!) apparently showed Knotman, but what about the rest of us?
AA means that if you set off somewhere with no electricity, and some do, its easier to stay in touch, so not a minor matter?
DW

DaveWalsh

Post by DaveWalsh » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:25 pm

Apologies.
I never got to say, taken aback by Martin and Knotman, that JohnD was 100% 0n the ball, that CH Marine in Cork could not have been quicker easier and nicer to deal with, and my radio is back in action as we speak.
Good call, thanks John,
DW