Worthwhile Sea Kayaking books to read.

This forum is intended for discussions about safety, rescue and first aid.
Hynser

Worthwhile Sea Kayaking books to read.

Post by Hynser » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:52 pm

Here goes folks.
Please post details and reviews of worthwhile Sea Kayaking books that you enjoyed and that you feel others may benefit from reading.

My first book is:

Sea Kayaker's Deep Trouble: True Stories and Their Lessons from Sea Kayaker Magazine

I read the sister / brother book to this, the River Safety anthology when I was much younger and I remember it having a profound on my thinking on the water. This book is no different, whilst some of the stories are from many years ago, the advice given is timeless.

Having studied a lot of kayaking related accidents / incidents, I have concluded that almost all Kayaking / Canoeing accidents can be attributed to poorply made decisions. If we look at our planning in detail we can eliminate an awful of needless risk whilst still maintaing that "adventure zone" that we all seek.

This little book is easy on the pocket, you read it in bite size chunks, story by story and you will extract lots of valuable nuggets of information.

Have a look on Amazon, should be easy enough to find.

GeneCahill

Re: Worthwhile Sea Kayaking books to read.

Post by GeneCahill » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:00 pm

"Coastal Turmoil: Wind, waves and tidal races" by Ken Endean.

I must give credit to Chris McDaid of North Mayo Sea Kayakers for highlighting this one on Facebook. I only bought it the other day but it's proving to be a great read. Excellent advice and information on coastal tides and currents, effects of wind and how to read the surface of the water. While some of the info is not new, the whole book is a great guide to coastal navigation. Highly recommended! Available on amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Coastal-Turmoil-W ... 1408127024
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (35.13 KiB) Viewed 20572 times