Symposium 2021 - Dungarvan

Information about ISKA meets
Chris McDaid

Re: Symposium 2021 - Dungarvan

Post by Chris McDaid » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:00 pm

Bookings for 2021 Symposium requiring accommodation and/or evening meal are now CLOSED

We can however take further bookings for Symposium only ie no accommodation & no meals/breakfast

Regards
ISKA Committee

deniann

Post by deniann » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:30 pm

Hi,
I was hoping to book but can't find where the information is.

Denise

brianmacmahon

Post by brianmacmahon » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:14 am

Hi gang,

BOOKING FORM IS CLOSED

No more accommodation available.

However if anybody wishes to attend Symposium only workshops, paddles and clinics contact ISKA committee email directly and we will see can we accommodate you.
That excludes the meal Saturday however as that’s booked out also.

Email is iskasymp@gmail.com

To everyone who has booked you’ll receive a confirmation email today.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!!

Brian Mac
Meets.

Chris McDaid

Post by Chris McDaid » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:19 am

SYMPOSIUM INFO - VERY IMPORTANT

We look forward to welcoming you to the Gold Coast Hotel for the Irish Sea Kayaking Association Symposium 2021.

There will be paddles & workshops to suit everyone and we have some of the top instructors in the country supporting this event as they always do. You will be able to select what you wish to do immediately after you register or first thing each morning. For those not staying in the hotel, please report to the hotel for 9am each morning as briefings usually take place around 9.30.

We have done our utmost to facilitate accommodation requests and we hope that the arrangements we have made will suit everyone.

Registration will open from 7 - 10pm on the Friday evening and from 8am onwards on the Saturday morning.

The AGM dinner will commence at 6.30pm on the Saturday and the AGM and RNLI raffle will take place immediately afterwards.

You must report to hotel reception before registering in order to show your COVID pass.

Everyone attending must have a COVID pass or you will NOT be permitted inside the hotel. This applies to those not staying in the hotel as well as those who do. Facemasks MUST be worn in all communal areas of the hotel and can be removed while dining or drinking in the bar.

Anyone wishing to book the Thursday night in the hotel must contact the ISKA Committee beforehand as the hotel staff will not permit bookings unless you know which room/lodge/apartment you have been allocated.

Any questions just ask.

See you all at the weekend

Regards
ISKA Committee

iskasymp@gmail.com

ISKA Website - www.iska.ie

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/seakayak.ireland

brianmacmahon

Post by brianmacmahon » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:55 pm

Hi everyone,

Just a note for anyone who wants to attend either of the rolling clinics over the weekend to bring a pair of goggles and possible a nose clip for your comfort.

See you all at registration Friday.

Brian Mac
Meets

Chris McDaid

Post by Chris McDaid » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:18 am

Fantastic weekend, many thanks to all of the providers and members who helped with the workshops & trips. Also a huge thank you to everyone who donated prizes for the RNLI fundraising raffle. €1715 was raised. Congratulations to the 10 candidates who passed their L3 assessments - thanks to Jon Hynes for that. To all the new members, hope you enjoyed the Symposium and hope to see all of you again next year. Also a big thank you to the staff of the Gold Coast Hotel who looked after us so well

Chris & Brian - Symposium organisers 2021

5MPPaddler%

Post by 5MPPaddler% » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:04 pm

As someone new to the sport I really didnt know what to expect (I'd never been to any Symposium before!) when I signed up for the weekend but I want to let you know I had such a good time. Thanks very much to Chris and Brian for organising, to all the instructors who gave their time and shared their expertise so patiently and with such good humour and to the hotel staff who looked after us so well. Thanks especially to the sea kayakers from all around the country for their warm and friendly welcome - it really is a hugely supportive community - and one I can now say I truly feel part of.

Michael Scholefield

HazyPaddler

Post by HazyPaddler » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:17 pm

THANK YOU to ALL ISKA Organisers, Trainers and Leaders for a fantastic Symposium Weekend. :-)
Special thanks to Chris and Brian for all their hard work in making it happen. :-)

Unfavourable weather made it challenging to plan sessions and clinics to cover all levels and abilities, yet you successfully managed to do it! :-)

Us ECSKC newbies thoroughly enjoyed our first Symposium. The learning opportunities were fantastic for us and the opportunity to meet so many seasoned paddlers and new pals from all corners of Ireland was thrilling. Thank you all for the friendly welcome and support. :-)

Thank you also to the hotel for their warmth, friendliness and great tolerance. ;-) Dungarvan and it's surrounding coastline was a beautiful setting for the Symposium and I thoroughly enjoyed beach-hopping my way (by car) back up the coast to Wicklow. I can't wait for other suitable opportunites to rock hop and surf along some of those quaint beaches :-)

Here's hoping to meet you all again soon, wherever the weather takes us, for paddles, training and fun over the coming seasons.

I'm already looking forward to next year's Symposium! :-)

All the best to you all, hope you can all manage a well earned rest this week.

Hazel J

ColinOrr

Post by ColinOrr » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:52 pm

I want to echo all the earlier comments. It was my first symposium and after last weekend, it wont be my last.

A big THANKS to all the organizers
A big THANKS to all the volunteer leaders and coaches (for their patience and support)
Thanks to those participants providing random acts of kindness for those that needed it (you know who you are)
Apologies to the 4 kayakers I crashed into at the surf session on Sunday morning..... or was it the same person 4 times, I'm not sure :shock: :? :o

And thanks to hotel for letting me sleep in their car park

What a great weekend

God help the organizers of Symposium 2022...

Colin Orr
ECSKC

EpF

Post by EpF » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:36 pm

Bit late with this, but I also want to say a heartfelt Thank You! to Chris and Brian and all organisers of the symposium, as well as the lovely folk who gave their time to run the events. I'm fairly new to kayaking and it was my first ISKA meet, and I really enjoyed it all.

I also learned a lot, so thanks to Peter, Dave and Sandra for the rolling session; and to Keith, Mick, Steve and someone else, whose name I don't know, for the strokes clinic. I thought those events were really well-taught and enjoyable. I am a groovy butterfly unfolding with a paddle made of sugar... ;)

And thanks as well to everyone else; you made it a fun and very welcoming event. I'm looking forward to meeting you all again in the future. :D

Eoin