ISKA Meet 14/15/16 August - Shark/Boffin

Information about ISKA meets
LornaC

Re: ISKA Meet 14/15/16 August - Shark/Boffin

Post by LornaC » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:22 pm

is anyone contemplating hanging around in the "looking a bit decent" weather on the Monday as well?

johnd

Post by johnd » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:04 pm

I have been in Acton's for the last week and will stay until Friday. I have very limited Internet access -- getting away from it all :) . If anybody is planning a paddle tomorrow Thursday or Friday morning, could you text or call me:

085 Seven 214 Nine 57

I hope to stay around on Monday also :)

John

Chris McDaid

Post by Chris McDaid » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:58 pm

I'll be one of the latecomers, hope to be on the water around 7.30pm to head to island, will have Talisker on board :shock:

Cheers,
Chris

Rusyn

Post by Rusyn » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:09 pm

Hello guys,
I'm coming Saturday morning. Hope to catch you on the island before you leave for a day trip.
How was the surf on the beach today?
See you. Vlod.

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:11 pm

And then there were 47 - an excellent turnout for the weekend.

Whereas the weather went against our original plans, it could have not worked more in our favor for the new destination. Apart from 2 five minute passing showers late Friday night, skies cleared Saturday lunch time to mostly sunshine for the rest of the day and including Sunday. Dolphins off the beach over breakfast, meteor sightings around the camp fire, some fishing, a few paddling up to Roundstone and back for a swift pint and not the mention the singing after a few too much vino (although the less said about that...).

For Saturday with some choosing other options, 38 set out on the main paddle taking in Mweenish, Mason and MacDara's before crossing the 8k back to Inishlacken. F3/4 SW breezes and lovely movement on the water, getting up to 4 and 5 feet+ at the back of Mason and in other open areas. Covering just over 31km and with a lot to take in at our leisure, we were out for almost 7 hours. For Sunday a small group headed for Croaghnakeela, others chose to practice rescues and rolls with the rest taking it handy breaking camp and heading off in their own time.

For the help and support on the water, thanks to Paul, Conor, Graeme, Ruth, Chris C, Chris McD, Colin, Alan and anyone else I might have forgotten.

Looking forward now to some pictures and video of the weekend.

Lucyb

Post by Lucyb » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:03 am

Thanks Conor and all those who made the weekend happen.

ruth mc auliffe

Post by ruth mc auliffe » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:19 am

https://picasaweb.google.com/1070995823 ... ndstoneBay

great weekend - thanks to everyone.

Fiona, I forgot to get your contact details. My number is 0877594164- or ruth mc Auliffe on FB. Come down anytime to try the kayak. http://www.point65.com/kategori/5487/x-lite.html

grahamspeller

Post by grahamspeller » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:57 pm

Thanks Conor (and all the helpers) for all the organising and the great weekend. It was good to see so many people attending.
Graham

afinn

Post by afinn » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:44 pm

Ok, a bit of a trip report....well actually a few thousand words of a trip report,
Make a cuppa and enjoy........

Well what a cracker this trip turned out to be, absolutely super and far exceeded my expectations.
Firstly, before I start my narrative, many many thanks to Conor Smith for taking on over 40 paddlers and leading them on such a super weekend which went without a hitch throughout, a wonderful job done there. Well done Conor.
A few from the East coast met on Thur. evening in Actons Camping, myself, Roger, Alan R, John D and Conn o’S , we had a good evening of merriment and entertainment.
We discussed the various names of people in our club and to differentiate them we decided on the monikers of Bulky, Small, etc. We also discussed the merits of removing your helmet from your seat before you try to slide down into it whilst launching, imagine. You really had to be there.
Friday morning we woke up to glorious sunshine, Roger cooked up a plethora of sausages and rashers which we devoured hungrily. John had to go on a long drive to retrieve his “Source of all good things” which had abandoned him, run away, the previous day, it all ended very well.
We set of merrily for Roundstone in convoy, (not convoy in Donegal you understand).
We arrived and partook of an excellent creamy chowder and a pint of liquid resembling a large cup of coffee in appearance, but there the similarity ends..
Replete, we headed for the launch point of Gurteen Bay, folks, if you havent seen Gurteen Bay, and indeed the general area, you are not living. Beauty beyond compare.
The car park was a tad full, but not a problem, boats were dropped, (not literally), “stuff” was unloaded from cars and “stuff” was packed into boats. Water, food, firewood, I had a bag of kindling on the back deck, but john thought that it might get a tad wet there so it went into the space in front of my foot pegs. Alan R had a pot or two and a frying pan on his deck, various other ISKA bucaneers had logs, and god knows what strapped or otherwise hung onto decklines, a wonderfull sight to behold.
Conor spotted some rough water on a distant headland, so, putting Emma on point we headed for that, to “have a look at what we had” 30 odd paddlers at that stage, observers to the right left and rere, we all came through the rough stuff with flying colors, well we got through anyway.
Turned then to port, lots of following sea, big enough, some surfing ensued, we could see out island in the distance, our home for the next few days.
We neared our little landing place, “watch out for the occasional big wave” guarding it.
The pearly white beach smiled at us as we landed. Empty eyes stared at us from the deserted cottages, roofless and abandoned.
We scurried about like ants, looking and checking for the best spot to set up our tents, prime real estate. The spirits of the island stirred, life was back, hope perhaps?
I was reminded of the poem by Yeats….
”The bees build in the crevices of loosening masonry, and there
The mother bird brings grubs and flies”

We set up, all good, weather great.
Some went out to sea fishing, just like years ago, the spirits smiled, I could feel it.
Then myself and John decided to go to Roundstone for refreshments. Half way there and we discovered that we have no money for said refreshment, not to worry, “The lord will provide” and provide he did, well not exactly the lord (whoever he or she may be) but two kindly ladies, twins they were, very kind they were too. One had sadly lost her husband in an air crash whilst he was flying back to Dublin from Galway, there is a plaque to commemerate him in the harbour.
We were joined soon enough by 4 more alcoholics, sorry kayakers, more large, ahem, coffees, Chris bought us crisps, a wonderful hour or so in that pretty village.
Back to the island with much merriment in the evening glow, bliss.
More kayakers had arrived whilst we were away, 47 now on the island.
The camp fire was soon ignited and it’s flames lured us in, we sat and stood around it,
John Jameson made an appearance to warm the cockles, we told ghost stories, talked of the universe and generally sorted out lots of stuff. Shooting stars rounded off the night, the remains of Persius, some quite bright ones.
I left the fire to return to my Yurt for the night. As I nodded off I was lullabied by “Chris from Tipp but living in Clare “ serenading the remaining revellers with the “Lady in Red” or some such ditty.

Saturday morning.
Nirvana, Heaven, Peace….Waking up to the sound of the sea and the birds, fluffy white clouds motionless in an azure sky, four donkeys looking at us from a field, then a shout, Dolphins, Dolphins, out in the bay a pod of about 5 or 6 frolicked in the sea, they seemed to be playing with a big round buoy, they certainly buoyed us up. It surely must have been a little bit of heaven, or the joys of the simple things in life, if, you stopped to see them.
A briefing from our leader, Conor, 47 bloody paddlers, WOW.
“Chris from Tipp but living in Clare”, you will remember that he can sing, was put on point, head out and make for Mace Point, little did we know at that stage he fate that would befall him later in the day. Seas were needing some Attention, F 3to 4 and waves 5 to 6 feet high. A Galway Hooker came out to us, we took pics of it, and it’s crew took pics of us, a lovely sight to see it under full sail, beating it’s way through the water.
All good, we made Mace Hd, around the Head, a regroup of the gang, the brave few played near the rocks in the surf, great fun.
On we went, heading for Mason Is or were we, Chris still on point, messages coming from the Genaral watching at the rere.
On, south, hugging the shore, then out to sea to surf back in, passing beaches, them around another headland and a big beach, the order came, lunch here. The sun then came out in it’s full glory, we brewed up among the rocks, people lay on the sand, the view just spectacular. Sambos, crisps, coffee, hot food of various types, you name it, it was available, we ate like kings, kings of the Island. We were on Mweenish
Lunch over we headed out to sea, the destination, Mason Island. Conn and Alan R had a game of Frisbee with Alan’s hatch cover, did not end well, not recommended. Ever resourceful, Ruth Bracken had a fix and sorted it out, …Sea 1 - Kayak cover 0
On we went towards Mason, wind strongly on our port beam, up and over, up and over we went on the waves. The approach to Mason is magnificent, the view of a massive pure white snowy beach as you come in is a pure delight. A bit of extra “bump” on the approach kept our collective senses keen.
We landed and “Chris from Tipp but living in Clare” was suddenly sacked from his position as point. Who could guess, SACKED…I hastily convened a court and mounted a strong defence on his behalf but to no avail, the decision of the leader stood.
In hindsight I think that his earlier statement whilst out at sea may have contributed to his fall from grace.
Leader to Chris..”Slow down a bit at the front, there are some slow people at the back”
Chris to leader….”I cant really slow down in these sea conditions, it’s too rough”
Definitely did NOT help.
To try to make it up to him I married him on Mason Island, there are pics to prove it and if Roger ever publishes them my life, as I now know it, will be over.
3 islands knocked off so far. Super.
We set off again, the point duty was now taken over by Ruth Bracken and headed for island number 4 on our itinerary….St McDaras Island. Another delight. Many will know it for it’s unique church. It is a beautiful structure. On the way in to the island we could see that around to the side of it there was a lot of “action” ,prayers were offered that we were not going around, and indeed we did not. There were more “wedding ceremonies” in the church colin married some one, not sure of her name, but there are pics on FB. We strolled over the island in the sun, the sheep were for some reason scared, perhaps an encounter with kayakers on a previous occasion, who knows but they did not hang about.
A lovely island, quite rocky but some huge very flat rocks. Away to the west, in the distance we could just make out a smaller island, it looked just like a big rock. Apperantly back in the early days of ISKA, some kayakers went out there and camped, Dave Walsh might know of this. The island must be 13 or so miles out from the mainland, a very serious undertaking in the Wild Atlantic, hats off to them. Conor took out his compass to get a bearing for the long trip back to Inishlackan, Ruth was with him. Good learning for me. We mounted up and took to the rolling seas again on a bearing of 350 dgrs, or the gable end of the two white houses if you preferred. Big waves now. Wind still f 3 to 4, full attention needed at all times. Some at the back were unsure, doing very well but maybe having difficulty keeping on track. Conor asked a few of us to paddle at the back of the group amd assist. Chris Mc Daid played a blinder helping out a paddler in the swell for the best part of an hour, well done. 32 kilometres on the day.
All arrive back in great spirits, not an incident of any note to report, every one reported having a ball.
The, ahem, coffee in roundstone called a group of paddlers and off they went in that direction, they brought back Pringles and other goodies for the campfire. Some people went for a swim in the little bay, “Kayakers Bay” . Others chilled in the sun or their tents or on the beach. Again, Heaven. Evi made some “Real” coffee and I had a cup of that. Ahhhh wonderful
We ate and then around 9..ish the paddlers from Roundstone beagn to return, dusk began to fall, myself and Shane and others gathered firewood, drift wood to burn.
We lit the fire and settled down on rocks or the sand to chat and have a drink, darkness fell and the crowd grew large. Maltesers went around, and then the afore mentioned Pringles. Chris Hamilton had some Jameson and ginger ale, delicious, I must say.
Not to appear ungrateful, Chris Mc D turned up with the Talisker, a single malt from the Isle of Skye,,,,,another you havent lived moment, I am not nor ever have been a whiskey drinker, BUT, you have to taste this Talisker, it is quite one of the nicest things that I have tasted, really lovely, you have to try it. I looked it up since and you can get a bottle from around 60 euro up to….wait for it…..3,999 euro, whos going to bring that one on the next trip.
There was much merriment around the campfire, tall tales, tales of derring do, lies, damned lies, some statistics, some fairy tales, some myths, a little poetry, I found out the secret to Patricia Carrahers dried chili con carne. Graham made me a bottle opener from an old anchor that he had lying around somewhere, it was truly a wonderous place to be, no other people, just us, a small community around a big campfire. Some sang, some more TRIED to sing, There was philosophising, fantasising, deliberations, contradictions, and it was all the best of craic and fun.
Wearily but happily we drifted off to bed as the glowing embers died. It rained heavily for about 5 minutes on the remaining 7 or 8 of us, we stood in near to the fire and we were dry in less than 5 minutes. Of to our tents with a faint glow of light in the east.

Sumday.
Awoke to glorious sunshine, birds singing, the 4 donkeys looking at us from “Donkey Hill”. The farmer, or one of them who kept sheep on the island, paid us a visit with his 2 collies, he was out for a walk and inspecting the flock, not us, thee sheep, we had a great chat.
The sun now really strong, a glorious day in prospect, we had breakfast, “Mustang Sally” and one of the other girls from Cork came around our little group of tents with rashers and sausages, delicious.
Plans were made for paddles, some planned rolling, Chris planned a trip to another island out to sea, cant remember the name. A few of us planned a circumnavigation of the island opposite us, Inishnee, a big island.
We struck tents, gathered up the remains of our “stuff” and proceeded to pack out boats.
Leaving absolutely nothing behind, in a few hours no one would even know that we had been there, except perhaps the island spirits, would they be lonely I wonder, they had been lonely for a long time now so perhaps they were used to solitude, awaiting the next visitors.
The navy boat P 42 made it’s way up between the islands and anchored off Roundstone.
6 of us us took of on our circumnav, a stunning day, the Twelve Bens clear of mist and cloud. Words do not often fail me, but to describe the beauty of this area is a hard task, it is stunning.
We meandered our way around, watching birds soar, the sea beneath, now flat calm and crystal clear, you could see the bottom way below, a forest in areas then clearing to snow white sand and then a forest again, a forest of seaweed, or sea flowers. Under the road bridge that connects the island to the mainland, paddle up and then Roundstone appears, multi colored houses a fairytale like, sitting at the edge of the Atlantic.
“Anyone for Chowder” was shouted, no one. On we paddled, brilliant, brilliant sunshine.
We turned right, heading for the land, Gurteen Bay, Conor and Graham went in to a little harbour, Ervallagh, rolling practice they said. A super day for it.
The rest of us paddled on to Gurteen, another beautiful white sandy beach.
We had lunch with some other kayakers returning from a different trip, we said our goodbyes and hoped to meet again.
Conn and I got the second half of the hurling in Clifden, Galway won.
Galway won in every respect that weekend.
So, again, a huge thanks to Conor for leading us all safely and well, he knows the area extremely well which is a wonderful boost, answering questions about he area etc.A big thanks to those who helped him, Emma G, Eoin, Chris, all know the area and the seas. 5 islands done in one fell swoop.
Apologies if I have missed out anyone.
A huge thanks to all who turned up and paddled, they made the weekend truly brilliant, great craic and fun.
I am going to try to name all those I met and spoke to, just to see if I can, apologies again if I forget some.
Conor S, Leader…….
Chris”From Tipp but living in Clare who got sacked”
Emma, “My singing is scary” G,
Eoin,
Paul in a tarp and bivvy,
Paul in a tent,
Ruth B,
Conn,
Roger,
John D,
John B,
Ben, Mc,
Alan R,
Chris H,
Ewan,
Graham “bottle opener” S,
Patricias Conor,
Mary B,
Martina B,
Chris “Talisker” Mc Daid,
Lucy B,
Brian B,
Colin “I cant sing” Francis
“Mustang” Sally,
Shane “Pallet carrier with me”
Peter B,
Sharon,
Ray,
Michelle,
Maria,
30, not too bad.
Pics asap here……. http://www.facebook.com/1therapy

VOTE NO 1 Chris Mc Daid
Last edited by afinn on Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

evi

Post by evi » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:29 pm

Lovely write up Alan! Can we do it tomorrow again?
And thanks a lot Connor- it was a brilliant weekend!! :)
Evi