ISKA June 14th/15th Meet?

Information about ISKA meets
conorsmith

ISKA June 14th/15th Meet?

Post by conorsmith » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:00 am

Is this meet going ahead?
Last edited by conorsmith on Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patriciacarraher

Re: ISKA June 14th/15th Meet?

Post by patriciacarraher » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:57 pm

Hi all,

This meet is certainly going ahead. Gavan is leading, he is away at the moment but will post details early next week. Unfortunately I can't be there as I have to go kayaking around the Aoelian Islands off Sicily but someone has to do it.
The owners of the Lighthouse Inn in Kilbaha have kindly said we can camp there. There isn't a lot of room but there are plenty of B&Bs around too. Martin will post further info re accommodation as soon as he can.

I hope you all have a blast, especially Martin on what is his last ISKA meet for the foreseeable future. Good luck Martin in Scotland, we'll see you there.

Trish

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:01 pm

Oh oh, a campsite on the grounds of a pub in an area not known to worry about proper closing times....

Roll on next weekend!!

martinguilfoyle

Post by martinguilfoyle » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:17 pm

Hi,
The owner of the Lighthouse bar and restaurant will allow camping in her garden. It is not a very big area so be sensible when pitching. The lady also runs an excellent B&B on the same premises and the food is very good. See reports from last meet here a few years ago.
Gavan Sheridan will be leading the meet. The weather is said to improve and there is a chance that there may be an area of high pressure sitting close to us for the weekend. While I have no intention of stealing Gavin's thunder or usurping his authority there are amazing trips to be had here. This is an area of seriously exposed paddling with very limited pull outs. Many of the pull outs close out in swell. A trip around the head itself to the Bridges of Ross is some 16K. There is a pull out at Horse island and nothing then for 10k. on the north side and then a few k to the bridges of Ross. Do not rely on the get outs. The Bridges of Ross is usually landable except in very big stuff. Loop head sticks out into the Atlantic and there is usually activity here.
From Ross to Kilkee is approx. 19k with some fantastic caves cuts and geos. Only 1 possible landing at Gowleen bay but this is often closed out with surf.
From Kilbaha to Carrigaholt is approx. 15k and is an interesting paddle with a cave or 2. There is a meaty tide race off Kilcredaun Point that works on ebbing tides and is especially bumpy with wind against tide. It is worth noting this is very fast and heads out for quite some distance in a SW direction.

One of my favourite day paddles here is From Carrigaholt leave 2/3hrs after HW and head for Kilconly point and travel down the coast to Ballybunion. After Leck point there are some great caves and even one with numerous entrances and exits. Land at BB at low tide have a leisurely lunch and head north for the open crossing back to Carrigaholt. On the way out watch and plan for serious tidal drift. on the way back head for Kilcredaun light and adjust accordingly. This trip is just over 30k.
There are easier trips further in the estuary.
This is some of what is available and the only reason I am highlighting them is that people need to be honest about their abilities and know how fast and far they are capable of paddling. I have on one occasion set out and had to spend over 4 hrs in the boat as no landings were available. This is not a problem for many but for some of us it is a bit of a pain.
Unless the weather is absolutely calm without swell this is level 3 and above paddling. We do get big swells without wind here. This is only my opinion for what it is worth.
The organisation and trips are totally dependant on weather and there is only one skipper and that is Gavan. What he calls is what is done. People who want to do their own thing or paddle in peer groups that is up to themselves but if you are paddling with the group be aware of your responsibilities to the leader the group and yourself.
I hope I am not putting a dampner on things but I feel if we all know what we are letting ourselves in for we will have a great time and no one will be disappointed.
Looking forward to it and meeting up with some old faces.

Martin

ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA

Tony Power

Post by Tony Power » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:39 pm

Weather permitting we'll be traveling up from Waterford

colinfrancis

Post by colinfrancis » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:38 pm

Sorry not going to make this one :cry: But will catch up with you all soon :mrgreen: