Clare Meet 20/21 August

Information about ISKA meets
conorsmith

Clare Meet 20/21 August

Post by conorsmith » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:27 pm

Folks

The next ISKA meet is set for the weekend 20th /21st August. Our first choice will be an overnight offshore camp on Inis Meain, the middle Aran Island. Setting out from Doolin on the Saturday morning, we will return early Sunday afternoon.

The plan is to base ourselves in an open field site on the east of the island by the old pier. Note, this will be wild camping, there are no facilities here. On the island there is a pub serving burgers and pizza. There is also a small shop ( Saturday 10-1pm and 2-5pm) but I recommend you still bring everything you will need with you.

This is an open water crossing. Doolin to Inis Meain by our route will be 16km, but we can make a short stop on Inis Oirr as required (8km shortest point). Attendees must be comfortable with the crossings and be able to maintain a steady group speed (5-6kmph is not a big ask). Because of heavy ferry traffic, if we have large numbers we cannot have stragglers nor late comers, tight group control will be needed.

Registration in advance will be required - follow the link below to register your interest:

https://forms.gle/4FQJGcmqo8dTcTmN7

For questions, post a reply or you can email me directly at conor@insightlpi.ie
Last edited by conorsmith on Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

colinfrancis

Re: Clare Meet 20/21 August

Post by colinfrancis » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:47 pm

looking forward to it 👍🏼

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:50 pm

For anyone arriving Friday, there are two camp sites in Doolin if you wish to book in yourself. We have no arrangements with either site.

Beside Pier / Launch Point - Nagle's Camping 065-7074458
This is a very busy site, advanced booking recommended.
http://www.doolincamping.com

By the Doolin Hotel 5 minutes from the pier - O'Connors Riverside Camping 085 2819888
https://www.campingdoolin.com/

While we are on the water over the two days, there are two paying car parks, both charging €5 for a 30 hour stay. Don't forget your coins, card and phone tap is not always reliable.

Some of you may choose to arrive earlier on Friday for a paddle under the Cliffs of Moher. We will leave you to organise this yourself and if you are looking to join any such group or hook up with others, perhaps you might post the details below.

This is an outline of the plan for the weekend. Out by the western side of Inis Oirr Saturday. In by the main beach on Inis Oirr on the return leg, via the Plassey wreck and home.
Last edited by conorsmith on Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:57 pm

Hi Folks

Over the coming days keep a close eye on the forum in case of any changes if the weather is not in our favour. I have plan B options just in case.

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:09 pm

Folks

Unfortunately we must take Inis Meain off the cards for this weekend. At 6 to 10 feet, the sea swell is a little on the large side for considering an open crossing with a big group.

We have Plan B options under consideration in the Connemara area. Wind and rain forecasts have changed too much in the last 12hrs to get a clear enough picture but we should be able to confirm tomorrow afternoon at the very latest.

I am still looking to make this a wild camping meet and will confirm once we have a better idea of what to expect.

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:13 am

Current outlook for Saturday morning is winds F4 early, dropping to F3, showers until lunch time. Sunday is calm and dry until late afternoon. Choosing a location that will give us shelter on Saturday, I am comfortable with this meet going ahead and see no reason to restrict participation.

10.30 am Coral Beach meet to allow people travel, on the water 11.30.
Park by the wide section area beside the house on the bend and along this section only.
This is a wild camping meet, bring everything you need, leave no trace.
If anyone has questions, please drop me an email or give me a call.
conor@insightlpi.ie 086 8283247.

Coral Beach, Connemara, Galway
Google Maps
https://goo.gl/maps/xz6MvmNyaZ5jHJSg6

If you are considering your options, you have two:

1. Stay home looking out the window wishing you had been able to get away paddling for the weekend;
2. Go paddling, you could be dead next week. But for the love of god don’t let it happen over the weekend cause they’ll never allow me lead another trip…

Stop with the excuses, get your arse in gear, gather your kit and see you all Saturday by the beach!

Saturday.jpg
Saturday.jpg (111.53 KiB) Viewed 23380 times
Sunday.jpg
Sunday.jpg (113.76 KiB) Viewed 23380 times
Last edited by conorsmith on Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:56 pm

2 OSI Maps of the area we are paddling available from the links below in A4 size - perfect for on your deck. You can download, print, laminate or place in a waterproof pouch.

Option 1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZrEzWW ... sp=sharing

Wider Option 2
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zr0N1G ... sp=sharing

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:17 am

We have a much clearer picture of the weather, with showers to lunch time Saturday, some sun in the afternoon and dry for the rest of the weekend. Sunday is looking lovely and calm for the return by the outside of Gorumna.

If this is your first overnight trip, we will pack our kayaks Saturday morning with everything needed for the duration. We will not be returning to the cars until Sunday afternoon. Finis is an empty island with no facilities whatsoever. In addition to camping gear and island wear, you will bring food and water for the two days, lunches x 2, breakfast & evening meal plus snacks. For myself, I find bring 5 litres of water - 3 x 1.5 litres bottles should be good. And of course, your favourite tipple and nibbles for the evening.

As a reminder, we have a policy of Leave No Trace. Everyone please bring a waste bag to take your rubbish home with you. A little trowel to bury your business too perhaps :oops:

Looking forward to catching up, see you at 10.30 tomorrow.

Safe travels.

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:05 pm

Late comment - if anyone is in the area today Friday and is looking to hook for an afternoon/evening paddle, post your name and number.