I want to spend 1.5k+

Items for sale or wanted
AlanRyan

I want to spend 1.5k+

Post by AlanRyan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:53 pm

Hi, sorry about the sensationalist headline, but sometimes it's hard to spend money in this country

As the subject says I want to buy a new sea kayak. Currently I'm on my second, and it's a disaster.  I bought a Tahe Marine Wind Solo, but it's not fit for sea kayaking, (Build quality is great).  I'm not a rudder fan, and this boat needs a rudder to stay paddler side up.  I took it off, and I've improved my  ' being rescued ' skills since. Very little rocker, I'm told that its a 'great straightline boat'.

Previous to this I had an Easky 15 for 3 or 4 years,  and honestly it was a great starter boat. I've been to Inishboffin on that boat and stayed dry, actually I never got tossed out of it, doing a lot of risky west coast kayaking. At the same time, I realise why I never came out of the Easky, its a big heavy, stable beast. I'm looking to upgrade my kayak and handling skills.

I bought the Tahe Marine Wind Solo after sitting in it, in the dark, in my back garden for 10mns, so I'm trying to not repeat this mistake.  I'm looking to try out a couple of boats, fibre glass, Kevlar, pe's  - to see what suits me best , and what I'll be comfortable doing the west coast in.. there is no budget if I love the boat...

If you can do this for me, mail or give me a ring...

Al.
Last edited by AlanRyan on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kapos

Re: I want to spend 1.5k+

Post by Kapos » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:59 pm

Where are you located ?

AlanRyan

Post by AlanRyan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:02 pm

Hi,
Dublin...but travel on weekends is not an issue..
Al.

davidglasgow

Post by davidglasgow » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:10 pm

Al.
Would you consider a Seabird Designs "Qanik" ?
Probably near the opposite end of the spectrum from a Wind Solo.
Fiberglass construction, black deck, white hull,perfect nic, probably the only one in the country at the moment, lots of pics, vids, of them on google/youtube etc.
Happy to meet up for a paddle or will be at Streamstown.
Cheers,
Mayo Dave.
087 7988847

Hynser

Post by Hynser » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:50 am

Hi Alan.
Good post, having not met you or seen you paddle, I'll just impart what my students have been telling me & demonstrating on the water.

If you look at the growing numbers of people paddling North Shore Atlantic's, I think they are possibly one of the best "one kayak for all" solutions. They also do the Ocean 17 which is also performing well.

I'd also consider looking at the Valley suite of boats.

We'd also rate the Pilgrim very highly here.

P&H kayaks also produce a great range of Kayaks, although we tend to be more familiar with their plastic range here, they also have some fantastic composite kayaks. The Scorpio is also another great "one kayak for all" option.

But your already making the right move, try before you buy! I have learned the hard way that cheaper composite boats made by non Atlantic countries might look the business but the build quality and strength was disappointing.

In relation to rudders, I think a lot hinges (forgive the pun) on the quality of the rudder system. In my opinion, the Smarttrack rudder is THE best I have used.

So, enjoy the hunting, nothing quite like the feeling of finding a kayak that just clicks with you from the first paddle strokes!

AlanRyan

Post by AlanRyan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:22 am

Hi Dave,

I'm hoping to go for a P&H or a valley - ideally looking to try a few differnent ones on the day so see if I can get a feel for what the nuances of each boat are - let me read up on them and get back to you.

Thanks,
Al

AlanRyan

Post by AlanRyan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:25 am

Hi Hynser -

Thanks for getting back with that info. there's a couple of brands I hadn't heard of there - going to get stuck into reseaching some of them. It's always good to get tales from the trenches ;-)

Thanks for the suggestions - hoping to get this done soon and get out paddling for the summer in a new boat :D

Al
Hynser wrote:Hi Alan.
Good post, having not met you or seen you paddle, I'll just impart what my students have been telling me & demonstrating on the water.

If you look at the growing numbers of people paddling North Shore Atlantic's, I think they are possibly one of the best "one kayak for all" solutions. They also do the Ocean 17 which is also performing well.

I'd also consider looking at the Valley suite of boats.

We'd also rate the Pilgrim very highly here.

P&H kayaks also produce a great range of Kayaks, although we tend to be more familiar with their plastic range here, they also have some fantastic composite kayaks. The Scorpio is also another great "one kayak for all" option.

But your already making the right move, try before you buy! I have learned the hard way that cheaper composite boats made by non Atlantic countries might look the business but the build quality and strength was disappointing.

In relation to rudders, I think a lot hinges (forgive the pun) on the quality of the rudder system. In my opinion, the Smarttrack rudder is THE best I have used.

So, enjoy the hunting, nothing quite like the feeling of finding a kayak that just clicks with you from the first paddle strokes!

brianmacmahon

Post by brianmacmahon » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:57 am

Hi Alan,

It really depends in what type of kayaking and distence you want to cover.
If your looking for a glass boat with a budget of around €1500 I'd defenitely look at the seabird range of boats.
Cieran has a demo boat at Bantry Bay Canoes. Give him a shout for a test drive.
I've never driven one myself, but just looking at it you'd know it handles well. Classic rocker with not too much V chine. Should be good and stable while at the same time pushing your skill level.

Here is link to boat at Bantry Bay !

http://www.bantry-bay-canoes.com/sea-ka ... -scott.htm

Best of luck with it.

Mac

ceres

Post by ceres » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:19 pm

Hi Alan,
I am from Dublin. If you want you can try to paddle my kayak. In my view it is as good as P&H or other English brands. I will be happy to hear a second opinion. Here is my mobile 0879199241 if you fancy testing.

Pawel

Chris McDaid

Post by Chris McDaid » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:35 pm

If its a plastic yer after, the Perception Essence is well worth a look, outfitting is second to none and it handles well

Cheers,
Chris