Project Oileain

General discussion
DaveWalsh

Project Oileain

Post by DaveWalsh » Sat May 25, 2019 5:35 pm

I'm back.
For now anyway.......
Oileain now has 592 islands and rising, the most recent being four wee newbies in Cashla Bay around about Rossaveal, where the research introduced me to a Martello Tower of all things. There are a couple in Bertraboy Bay and some in Dunmanus Bay.
Some researched stuff has been developed, the flows at Wicklow Head corrected and biggest thing of all on the east coast is Rosslare Fort Island, the sandbank that keeps on giving. Read about the foreign language spoken there for centuries, the RNLI exploits and above all their blue whale, biggest ever stranded and harvested, first for meat and then for the bones and carcass, which nowadays is the centrepiece on view in the natural history museum in London, replacing the dinosaur that was there the last time I took a stroll that way.
Oileain will never do its job properly without the support of kayakers and small boat people who are out there and see things and spot that Oileain doesn't have them or has them wrong.
See it all on www.oileain.org which is again all up to date.
DWalsh

DaveWalsh

Re: Project Oileain

Post by DaveWalsh » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:22 pm

Oileáin a Dó is officially out of print.
For a particular reason, I tried to buy a gansey load, but they weren't available.
I got a couple of dozen so as at least to keep the last few in Ireland.
The first edition 3,000 sold out in about a half dozen or so years.
Oileáin a Dó 2,000 have sold out in 5 years.
I understand there will be a supplementary print run, but I don't know which will be the collectors' item.
Available at oileain.org.
You've been warned.
DWalsh