Buying a kayak

General discussion
duncanogilvie

Buying a kayak

Post by duncanogilvie » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi

Have decided to buy a kayak, and have discovered there is a bewildering array of makes & models out there! I am fairly new to kayaking, 6ft and a \"well built\" :-) guy.

I only plan to use it on lakes, big open rivers & on the sea (day trips). Not into white water, so something comfortable, steady in the sea & above all cheap!

Reserach seems to suggest the Dagger Element 10.0 or Perception Sundance as potential matches - any views?

Thanks in advance
Duncan

knotman2

Re:Buying a kayak

Post by knotman2 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:49 pm

ciaran

Post by ciaran » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi Duncan,

bear in mind that anything under 16 feet puts you at a distinct disadvantage if you\'re paddling in a group - 14-foot boats are grand for pottering around lakes and big slow rivers with a friend or two, but if you\'ve ambitions on sea days over ten miles then you\'re crippling yourself with a short boat. Most ISKA members would paddle something from 16 to 18 feet, but then our emphasis is largely on sea touring, island crossings and feeling comfortable in bigger weather and water. So bear that in mind reading this response....

Usually I\'d say a larger paddler who wants a plastic boat would do well to look at a Valley Aquanaut - pretty stable, reasonably fast, a proper sea boat with decent gear storage. I\'ve yet to see any sea boat by Dagger that has been (in my view) in the same league as a Valley, NDK or Point65N kayak as a sea boat.... apologies to the Dagger owners out there!

The wider the boat, the more stable it feels but the slower it goes. Speed matters, when you\'re struggling along the back of a group all day long, wishing you had a faster boat. You can learn, quite quickly, to get comfortable in a long, narrow boat that feels a bit unstable on first acquaintance, but there\'s nothing you can do about a short boat, except replace it.

good luck with it

Ciaran

brianmacmahon

Post by brianmacmahon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Are you saying that 14 foot plastic boats are slow !!!!!. I\'m hurt really I am......! Although it would explain why I had to pop a ton of pain killers after trying to keep up with the group during the Killary Meet !!. That\'s a relief I thought I wasn\'t fit.

I\'ll have to go looking for a nice composite 17ft NDK now !!

My wife thanks you Ciaran !! :woohoo:

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Duncan
Ciaran above mentions a Valley Aquanaut. I have one of these and am very very happy with the boat. Obviously not a quick as a glass boat, you will still have little if any difficulty keeping up with any group over any distance.
I come across these regularly on the water and most users have few if any negative comments and I have no problems giving it the thumbs up. Attached reviews might be helpful:

http://www.canoecolorado.com/kayaking/v ... quanautlv/

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... php?t=8418

ND

Post by ND » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Same here, bought an aquanaut plastic, very happy with it and every time I pass near rocks or look at the hull I\'m glad it\'s not a fibre glass! Got it from Des at Deep blue sea - cheers - Nic