Plastic Sea Kayaks-Recommendations

General discussion
ciaranlan

Plastic Sea Kayaks-Recommendations

Post by ciaranlan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Level 3 paddler, needs new plastic sea kayak for ISKA weekends away and trips around Connemara coast, need something thats:
1) Fast
2) Has decent storage
3) Retractable skeg and rudder.
Any recommendations?
Ciaran

DesKeaney

Re:Plastic Sea Kayaks-Recommendations

Post by DesKeaney » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi Ciaran, Des Keaney from Deep Blue Sea Kayaking here. We do the Valley range of plastics and will shortly have the Sea Kayaking UK plastic in stock as well. Have a look at our stock at http://deepblueseakayaking.com/mambo/co ... iew/10/32/
The Aquanaut is good for the medium to large paddler (11-12 stone up) and the Avocet for the small to medium paddler (up to around 12 stone). While they\'re not as fast as some glass boats, they are better than most plastics. They come with 3 hatches, footrests, backrest, decklines and retractable skeg (a rudder can be retrofitted).
Give us a call if you need advice.
Des
01 2760263

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Ciaran
I purchased a second hand Valley Aquanaut LV last October, coincidentally it originally came from Deep Blue.
Very happy with it, good storage and sturdy. I completed the Great Island Kayak race in it last December with no problems. For a plastic, it is very good speed wise and I have no hesitation making a recommendation.

Regards, Conor.

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Ciaran
Have a look at the following independent review
http://www.canoecolorado.com/kayaking/v ... quanautlv/

Conor

ciaranclissmann

Post by ciaranclissmann » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:49 pm

A comment
- the LV (low volume) boats are good for smaller paddlers (say, less than 5\'8\'\' or so), because they catch less wind and so are easier to control in a cross wind. They also look leaner and faster than the standard versions, but I\'d actually doubt that the hull shape is very different - more knowledgeable people may know better. That said, they have less storage space than the \'standard\' versions, so if you\'re heading away for a week you might prefer a bigger boat.

I\'ve personally paddled a plastic avocet for a week at a time, and found that everything I needed could in fact be squeezed in. I generatlly keep up with the group, but it\'s slower than a glass boat, and I imagine also slower than the longer Aquanaut. But I\'ve also got a larger boat (a Greenlander Pro, not plastic), and find it great to have extra space... you never regret having more space, though whatever space you have will always fill itself. Incidentally, if it\'s fast you want, consider a Greenlander Pro or an Explorer - they\'re not plastic but they take a lot of gear and are fast.

Both my boats came from Des at Deep Blue. Web shopping shows that he\'s pretty competitive.

Ciaran

DesKeaney

Post by DesKeaney » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:49 pm

What Ciaran says about LV\'s and HV\'s is absolutely true for glass boats but less so for the Valley plastics. I\'m 100kg and paddle an Aquanaut LV without a problem (well... any problems have nothing to do with my size). The HV is more for people with big long legs.
An Aquanaut is faster than an Avocet as it\'s longer.