My favourite safety accessory is........

This forum is intended for discussions about safety, rescue and first aid.
Hynser

My favourite safety accessory is........

Post by Hynser » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:55 pm

In this thread, please take the time to celebrate your favourite safety accessory or indeed share some valuable advice to others when buying. Perhaps if you are considering purchasing some new kit you could also ask other forum users for advice here.

Hynser

Re: My favourite safety accessory is........

Post by Hynser » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:11 pm

5.10 Canyoneer Water Booties.

I am now on my 4th pair of these boots over the last ten years or so. Working full time outdoors and on the water, they really are a one stop shop for full blown confidence underfoot.

The hard part is that they are on average €125 a pair. For that, you get a bombproof pair of boot that provide excellent ankle support. They are easy to put on with a dual buckle and velcro closure system.

If you are wearing these over a dry suit I would recommend strongly that you would wear a thin pair of neoprene bodyboarding socks over your dry suit socks in order to protect the suit from any in-shoe gravel / sand. This avoids wear on the dry suit socks.

These boots drain easy, so you never feel like you are carrying water around.

I also use these boots for all my river running kayaking and Coasteering and they really do give that confidence underfoot. I should also point out that if you want to squeeze into a playboat or smaller surf kayak then these will be too clunky, you'll need to revert to more traditional style neoprene booties.

I'd also add that, boots like this spend most of their life wet, with this in mind, they are like tyres, they do wear down and will eventually fail. But if you are tramping around a lot landing on shore, climbing around shores, working on slipways running trips or want to protect your ankles, then, these are the boots for you!

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-de ... eer-yellow

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:25 pm

I like my McMurdo PLB. Small and easy to store in my PFD pocket.

I carry a VHF, which is excellent for keeping in contact with other members of a group when on the water. Out of line of sight, it is not great and I often wonder if you were up against the base of a cliff for example, could you rely on it to make contact with rescue services. We might be able to hear marine service bulletins but with only 5w of output , I cannot say how effective a radio would be if I had to signal for help. Perhaps radio checks every now and again might provide an answer?

I also carry flares and as we all know, these are only effective if seen by someone else. If it came to a situation where I needed to set one off, I already in trouble. I would prefer to use flares only once rescue services are in the area and for them to be able to pinpoint my position.

My first port of call would obviously be the radio and if communication was difficult, I won't be wasting time wondering if a flare was seen. I would instead choose the PLB option. Once the sky can be seen above, you know this is going to work!
Attachments
PLB.jpg
PLB.jpg (32.77 KiB) Viewed 32302 times
Last edited by conorsmith on Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brianmacmahon

Post by brianmacmahon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:24 pm

Handheld VHF Radio !!

Without a doubt when your on the water communication is critical for your own safety and for others.
Hand gestures and prearranged signals such as holding paddle vertically are fine. However nothing beats voice communication to avoid confusion.

By and large when sea Kayakers take to the water there is wind. Anything over a F3 affects voice communication hugely. I've taken this fact very much for granted. I was reminded of such recently when I led a group out around Eddy island, Galway bay. Nearly everyone I paddle with regularly are equipped with a VHF radio. However on this occasion I was the only one with a radio. One paddler decided to put their nose around the exposed part if the island and then put the head down. No amount of shouting and roaring and whistle would dissuade him to look back. So I had to split the group. Myself and one other stuck on my wayword paddler while the others went back to meet us on the other side.

A VHF can be immersed. It's more robust and reliable then a phone. You can get up to date weather reports from coastguard. You can communicate with coastguard and other users on the water. Coastguard can pinpoint your exact location from a VHF broadcast even in zero visibility. They cannot do that with a phone.

All in all it's the one piece of equipment I wouldn't leave the shore without.

I use the Icom M71 8 watt power.
Attachments
image.jpg
Icom M71
image.jpg (89.67 KiB) Viewed 32298 times
Last edited by brianmacmahon on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brianmacmahon

Post by brianmacmahon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:16 pm

ISA Safetrx App !

Extending my whole communication theme !

The Irish sailing associations app "safetrx" is a fantastic asset to have and it's free to install on your smart phone.
It's available for android as well as Apple phones.

This app has been heavily promoted by Irish coastguard recently. It allows them to track your heading, speed, location etc.

The idea is you register your details beforehand. Your vessel, colour of deck even a picture of your boat.
Emergency contacts, VHF call sign if you have one, whether you have flares and of course your mobile number.

See instruction video :- http://youtu.be/hpZ9L-g3_rA

You enter your estimated time on the water, you can also enter waypoints.
If you do not log off by your prearranged time. Safetrx try's to contact you. Failing that they try and contact your emergency contact. If you haven't checked in they then mobilise the coastguard who can log on to the site to see your last known position and heading. This greatly assists them in finding you.

It's a great resource to have particularly if your paddling solo.

It's essential your phone is well protected in a waterproof container.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (152.02 KiB) Viewed 32294 times

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:24 am

Lomo 3mm Neoprene Vest.

I wouldn't call this my favourite piece of kit and no, I don't have a neoprene fetish but it is certainly very handy and I would regard it as a safety accessory.

On hot summer days when shorts and t-shirts are the preferred option, this is very handy and easy to wear. If you get wet, there are no concerns about the cold and you are not looking to find a cag until you warm up.

I particularly find it useful however during winter months when you need plenty of kit to protect against the cold and especially if there is a chance of ending up in the drink. Wearing more than one layer inside a dry suit or dry cag, between condensation and sweat, while not overly comfortable, you remain warm once you continue to move. The problems arises however when you stop for lunch, take a break or even just waiting for the group, the condensation and sweat cool quickly and the cold sets in.

The neoprene vest is not what I would call comfortable but tolerable all the same. What is important though is that it will help you to maintain a fixed temperature and particularly around your core. Similarly if you end up wet, there is an extra layer of insulation and even when water seeps through, again it will keep your temperature relatively stable. On colder darker days over the winter months, I would rarely hit the water without putting this on.

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/Neopr ... -vest.html
Attachments
Lomo Vest.jpg
Lomo Vest.jpg (11.54 KiB) Viewed 32235 times

leonconway

Post by leonconway » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:40 pm

The KISU is one of my favourite safety accessories. I carry a 2 pers version in the day hatch and a 4 person one in the front hatch. One of the main reasons that they are permanent passengers in my kayak is because the KISU is a piece of kit that I’ve found myself actually using for immediate safety reasons more often over the years than many of the other bits of safety gear that I normally carry.

It’s a very versatile, cheap - and small - piece of kit which can be used as a super fast and effective problem solver for a variety of things. Over the years, one or other of mine have been used as a super fast set up storm shelter; as a general wraparound and a great ‘warmer upper’ against cold and early onset of hypothermia; to attract attention (bright glow orange is good colour to have); as an all purpose groundsheet. If you’re not too fussy, it even makes a fairly decent carrier bag for kit and other stuff when needs must.

My old faithfuls have even been used - more ambitiously than successfully I have to admit - as makeshift sails (two or more rafted kayaks, vertical paddles up each inside of the KISU).

It’s simply and quickly unwrapped and re-wrapped and is pliable enough generally to stuff easily into most parts of most kayaks.

KISU - vorsprung durch technik…

Hynser

Post by Hynser » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:20 pm

Anyone got experience of installing bilge pumps / batteries in their Sea Kayak?

afinn

Post by afinn » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:36 pm