Strangford Meet - 23rd September 2017

Information about ISKA meets
brianmacmahon

Strangford Meet - 23rd September 2017

Post by brianmacmahon » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:59 pm

Hi gang,

Peter McClenaghan is finalising the finer details regarding the ISKA Meet weekend of the 23rd September.
These are as follows;

Loose plan for weekend is :

SAT AM 23rd Sept : orienteering 3 hrs around south islands meeting on Salt Island for lunch
SAT PM 23rd Sept: short and long paddles within lough , may include trip to 'the Dorn'

SUN AM/PM 24th Sept: 2 x one way paddles through narrows (one long and one short) finishing at Killyleagh Outdoor Education Centre

Trip plans maybe changed in light of weather and abilities.

Venue is camping (£21STG for 2 nights)... includes large gym/meeting hall, drying rooms, toilets etc and use of slipway. Site is secure (locked up).

Other arrangements are being organised regarding pub etc (food and pub ~ 10mins walk)

http://eoceanic.com/sailing/harbours/print/116

Keep checking forum for more details and confirmation closer to the date.

Also Peter needs to know in advance numbers attending so please post here if interested.

Brian Mac
Meets Officer

fionatrahe

Re: Strangford Meet - 23rd September 2017

Post by fionatrahe » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:41 pm

sounds great Peter!
I hope to make it up there.

tee

Post by tee » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:41 pm

From the posting on the ISKA facebook page
"It is a requirement of this meet that you are a current CI, CANI, BCU, SCA or CW member"

Does that mean that ISKA members who are not members of any of the above are excluded? Or am I missing something?

Gerry

brianmacmahon

Post by brianmacmahon » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:06 am

Hi Gerry,

I'm afraid that's the case.
Peter very kindly stepped up to take over the Northern Ireland meet after the sudden resignation of Lorna.
They agreed to take over the Strangford meet in conjunction with the Belfast kayaking club hence the need for affiliation with a governing body to cover their insurance requirements.

It's not ideal Gerry.

We will hopefully have it sorted out for next year.
It only applies to the Northern Ireland Meet.

Brian Mac
Meets Officer

tee

Post by tee » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:19 pm

thanks for clarifying Brian.

john.ruston

Post by john.ruston » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:28 am

Did taking part in BKCs excellent "Bangor Bay Race" for RNLI require us to be CANI members ?? I wasn't asked. At CANI's P4S league events, members don't have to pay the £5 charge for event insurance.

Strangford arrangements. Well it's a shame for those who pay privately for robust 3PL Insurance. Closed Shop appeared here ??

Chancer

Post by Chancer » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:05 pm

So ISKA is now ruling that you must be a member of an NGB to take part in the ISKA Strangford meet after members rejected this option so recently. Hilarious

brianmacmahon

Post by brianmacmahon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Dear Mr Chancer,

I refer you to my comprehensive reply to Gerry regarding the Strangford meet.
ISKA has made no such ruling. ISKA does NOT require membership of a governing body as a requirement of attending meets. These issues have already been decided by the majority of the membership and will be upheld by the committee.

Meets organisers have complete autonomy to organise as they see fit.
The situation in the North is different from the south due to the proliferation of no win no fee legal actions.
As the Strangford meet is being done in conjunction with the Belfast kayaking club if they require affiliation then they are perfectly entitled to do so.

We will hopefully have the situation normalised for the Northern Ireland meets next year.

Brian Mac
Meets Officer