June Bank Holiday Weekend - POSTPONED

Information about ISKA meets
conorsmith

June Bank Holiday Weekend - POSTPONED

Post by conorsmith » Fri May 19, 2017 11:54 pm

Just putting it out there and we can see what the weather is like nearer to the weekend.

Meet Doolin Pier mid morning Friday. load up and head to Inis Mor, gone for 1pm. Saturday, either spend the day exploring the island or paddling, a combination of the two or split the group. Returning Sunday.

This is a distance paddle, with open crossings.

Some food for thought at this point. If you think you might be interested, you might post. Thoughts, comments,suggestions, questions also welcome.
Last edited by conorsmith on Tue May 30, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colinfrancis

Re: June Bank Holiday Weekend.

Post by colinfrancis » Sat May 20, 2017 7:50 pm

Looks interesting,all ready have the time booked off,

evi

Post by evi » Mon May 22, 2017 9:32 pm

should be off that weekend. would be up for it :-)

emma.glanville

Post by emma.glanville » Tue May 23, 2017 8:46 am

Sounds good I will be there.
Emma g

sfrawley

Post by sfrawley » Tue May 23, 2017 2:48 pm

Looks like fun , I be up for it
Sinead

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Thu May 25, 2017 12:38 pm

Inis Mor.jpg
Inis Mor.jpg (64.46 KiB) Viewed 9083 times
This is an outline only and suggestion for the weekend.

The size of the group will determine the speed as much as other factors. Assuming a short stop on Inis Oirr on the way out, you can expect 4.5 hrs to Kilronan:

- Friday leaving Doolin pier at 1.00pm sharp. Give yourself enough time unload, pack and park. Suggest meet at 11am.
- Saturday, you can choose to paddle, explore the island or a combination of the two.
- Sunday, pack up and leave after breakfast on the water say 11am. We can come straight in, go across the back of the islands or come in via the stack along the cliffs.

Again I will emphasis you must be comfortable with open water paddling with distance and time in the boat. You must have your own equipment and be able to manager yourself. Everyone will be expected to look out for one another.

Now, fingers crossed the weather holds up.

Comments or other suggestions welcome. Confirm if you are interested or contact me 086 8-2-8-3-2-4-7

By the by, on the off chance that conditions are not suitable for Inis Mor, we will look for an alternative, unless there is a total washout.

mcorbett

Post by mcorbett » Mon May 29, 2017 9:49 am

I won't make early start on Friday. I'll be heading from Doolin at 16:00/17:00 ish if that happens to suit anyone else.

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Tue May 30, 2017 7:24 pm

It does not look like the weather will favour us this weekend.

The swell on Friday is forecast to increase to 5-8ft and 6-10ft Sunday. Starting off calm Friday morning the wind will increase to F4 by later that afternoon. Saturday and Sunday F4 / F5, gusting higher.

This trip is not possible in these conditions and reluctantly, we will have to postpone. Over the summer if the opportunity presents again, I will post the details once more.

With these conditions along the west, apart from sheltered bays, there won't be much opportunity to do anything worth travelling too far for and I have no other suggestions. If anyone else has thoughts or comments, please post.