August meet - Connemara

Information about ISKA meets
margaretfarrell

Re: August meet - Connemara

Post by margaretfarrell » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:16 pm

Hi Everybody,
Thank you all for responding to our request to: Contact me by email to register your interest in the weekend; be a paid-up member of ISKA and have at least Level 2 paddling ability. Thanks to the Leaders who have committed to leading the trips - we couldn't do it without you!

This is an off-shore wild camping weekend.

We will meet at Coral Beach, Carraroe, on Saturday 27th at 10 am for a detailed briefing. On Friday night, there is Informal camping available there, with hopefully enough space in 2 small car parks for camper vans and car parking.
If you're arriving early on Friday, and want to go off-shore to camp on Friday night, go ahead, (this will be peer-led, not ISKA), there are loads of options - have a look at Oileain, and OSI Sheet 44 and 45. But, please be on time for the briefing on Saturday at Coral Beach.
On Saturday, we will form into 2 /3 groups, (hard/fast/Level 4+, moderate Level 3/4, easy/shorter in-shore option, as needed, and weather-dependent); each group will have a Leader (one who is to be obeyed!!), with one /2 Assistant Leaders. The plan is go out around Gorumna Island group, either South and West, or north/west inshore, to reach Finis Island to camp Saturday night; the other option for Saturday night is Inisherk, for a shorter trip. We will all camp in same island, as usual, and have the usual campfire experience. (PLease bring some firewood, etc.) And then back in Sunday, varying the route, among the myriad islands in the area, depending on weather. Landing back at Coral Beach between 4 -5 Pm.
HIgh water Galway 2pm; and with Easterlies forecast for Sunday. More on weather later in the week. This trip has the potential to deal with various weather options, and is most definitely going ahead. ( ..... but watch this space, later in the week).
Please observe strict Leave No Trace! practice at all campsites; please be aware of other island users - We appreciate pristine island conditions when we arrive on shore! (Dig a hole, and bury it, leave no toilet paper, use below low water mark, etc or even better, bring it home! Bring out what you bring in!)

See Oileain for more details on this wonderful sea-kayaking heaven! Sheet 44 and 45.

Membership of Irish required!

If you haven't already emailed me to say you're planning coming, please do so now! Farrell.margaret1@gmail.com. My mobile 087-9833419.

Watch this space, and the weather forecasts; If there is any further info, I will post again. And hope to see you all on Friday evening or Saturday morning.

PS: Check all your camping gear, drybags, etc - make sure you have your tent pegs and poles!!
If you haven't done a seakayaking off-shore camping before, please ask if you've any questions; my details are above if you wish to call me).
Regards,
Margaret Farrell.

margaretfarrell

Post by margaretfarrell » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:23 pm

Hi Everyone,
I forgot to include the co-ordinates for meeting point on Saturday:
Meeting point - Coral Beach, Carraroe L913 233
Saturday Camping - Finis Island L796 289 (17 kms or 20 kms depending on route)
Alternative campsite - Inisherk L838 235 (14 kms).

Also, please bring some fire materials.
Given the weather is looking reasonable for the Saturday, it is possible that some people will just turn up, without any notice. This makes things very difficult for leaders. - So, Please send me a message if you intend travelling and with a note of your level of competence - this meet is billed for Level 2 +.

Remember: Leave no Trace! Finis Island is used by lots of others, so let's help to keep it pristine!
All are welcome, and we look forward to a great weekend!
Email me if you've any questions.
Slan.
Margaret

brianmacmahon

Post by brianmacmahon » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:06 pm

What a weekend.

Many many thanks Margaret and your minions for hosting a fantastic meet.
Whatever you did to get the weather gods to play ball ... !!
You can organise all meets from here on in :D

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:02 pm

Thank you again Margaret for a super weekend. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Chris McDaid

Post by Chris McDaid » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:04 pm

Superb weekend Margaret, many thanx

Cheers,
Chris

John Markham

Post by John Markham » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:05 pm

Thanks to Margaret and the trip leaders Conor, Alan and Mick for looking after us. I'm sure I speak for all when I say it is really appreciated.

It was a wonderful weekend, and great to see so many folk turn out to enjoy the unique beauty of Connemara.

Mick,
If you have the ability to post on line the route we took on Sunday I'd like to see it, it was hard to figure out the exact trip from the map I had. My brain was too fried to figure it all out while at the same time trying to convince myself Coral Beach was "just around the next head-land"...

Thanks,
John.

Lucyb

Post by Lucyb » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:07 pm

Margaret, Many thanks for organising the great trip.

margaretfarrell

Post by margaretfarrell » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:22 pm

Hi everyone who made it to Carraroe last weekend!
Thank you all for coming, and thanks to all Leaders and Assistant Leaders, Conor, Alan, Michael, Emma and anyone else I missed!
Great weather, great camping sites, fabulous venue and scenery and of course, fantastic company, made it a weekend to remember!
And, everyone was so helpful, including of course,fishing out the swimming fisherman!
Thanks for everyone's co-operation!
Margaret

Mary Butler

Post by Mary Butler » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:32 pm

On behalf of the ISKA Committee and all that attended the meet....

A big THANK YOU to Margaret for coordinating the weekend and well done on what looks like a great meet for everyone.

Thanks a;so to those that lead and assisted making the meet possible, safe and enjoyable for all.

Mary
Stand in Chairperson

mcorbett

Post by mcorbett » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:20 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n5wy665b4bpd ... IJ97a?dl=0

Ta Margaret et al. Most enjoyable.

M.