ISKA Meet North Coast 20/21 September

Information about ISKA meets
knotman

Re: ISKA Meet North Coast 20/21 September

Post by knotman » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi Claire. See you Sat morn Ballintoy. Sennen 0861069430 (original number not correct, big fingers!)

Chancer

Post by Chancer » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:44 pm

Hi Claire, I wont get up till 5/6pm on Sat evening. Where will the accom area be. My number is 00353851086814. You can email me before 1400hrs on Sat either whichever suits at carroll1205@hotmail.com. Thanks in advance.
Mick.

john.ruston

Post by john.ruston » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:05 pm

Thanks Claire, Robin and everyone for a super weekend. Weren't we lucky with the weather ! Hope to see you all again soon.

patriciacarraher

Post by patriciacarraher » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:57 pm

Its hard to describe this last ISKA meet in Antrim. Conor called it motivating and inspiring as we drove home and he is so right. It was truly a magical weekend, full of variety, great company, and amazing paddling. Saturday we paddled in challenging conditions from Ballintoy to Portballintrea. I missed the basking shark but photos were produced to prove his existence. Quite a few people had never paddled in such challenging conditions before and it was inspiring for them to be able to do that under the guidance of Claire and Robin. Afterwards we had a magical barbecue at Robin Ruddock's boathouse in Ballintoy, right at the water's edge. Today we paddled from Ballointoy to Kilbane in idyllic conditions. A huge thanks to Claire Hughes for her organisation, I hope you enjoyed your birthday today Claire. The 25 of us who paddled yesterday and the 22 of today certainly did. Robin Ruddock, you are a legend!! You are a blessing to the paddling community, thank you so much. Thanks also to all those, old friends and new, for the amazing company, banter.

Before Alan F gets in there I would categorically like to state that I did not call him any names. I may have said 'Oops' as an extra large wave bore him down on top of me, but I have no recollection of anything else.

Trish

Chris McDaid

Post by Chris McDaid » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:18 pm

Brilliant weekend. Nice to meet you all and thanx for the hospitality

Cheers,
Chris

johnd

Post by johnd » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:14 pm

My first time paddling this part of the coast. Will definitely be back. As someone pointed out, we don't go up there often enough! Big thanks to all especially Claire and Robin. Also John Ruston, a gold mine of information!

Should be smiling for ear to ear for days now. :) :)

john.ruston

Post by john.ruston » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:47 am

Thankx johndempsey. Is just I don't get out much !! :) The atmosphere was terrific and I was stunned by the boat handling skills of everyone.
If you really want to re-visit - there's a couple of nice wild camp sites round Fairhead and Torr .... kayak friendly ... handy for Rathlin .... There's water, emergency footpath access, level ground and privacy at both.
I have pages on CCKA site with lots of pics -
Try
http://www.ccka.co.uk/forum/discussion/ ... ad-#Item_3
and
http://www.ccka.co.uk/forum/discussion/ ... ead#Item_8
If someone is thinking of a Rathlin trip and wants company - email me - it's a nice run.
There's Wild Camping at the Rue (Ushet Port recc.) or nearer to the pub/loos, I have free access for responsible kayakers to a field, with water on site - in Church Bay on the waterfront. Otherwise camping is generally NOT alowed on the Island except at the camping barns. Local protocols.

If you want copies of the tides and eddies "Cheat Sheets" as I gave to Claire ... I'll be back later on this thread with links for handy downloads off my DropBox. (Done)

Robin has suggested that I collate the north coast tides/principal eddies stuff onto a couple of sheets and then circulate the info rather than just sit on it ! I'm done - your turn Robin !!
These cover:-

1. The Foyle to Torr Head.
2. Rathlin Is. southwards to Belfast area.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/566 ... Sheet2.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/566 ... tside2.jpg

I'll update these sheets and sort a proper list sometime soon. Will edit this post to provide new URL.
Some of the most recent stuff on the evolution of certain eddies is not there - not crucial really. Mostly this is all you need to know for an easy ride :0 )

Only thing I ask please is that errors and comments are notified to rathlinpostman@gmail.com or bwthynblodwen@hotmail.com 'cos this is a work in progress.
Rathlin Sound Maritime Festival 2015 is already well into the planning and the request from Community Council is for MORE kayaks to be visible during the fortnight.Is a great fest of traditional boats, food, music and much more -- be nice to see you there next summer (dates TBC). John R.
Last edited by john.ruston on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris McDaid

Post by Chris McDaid » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:28 am

Saturdays wee amble along the coast...................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q83eDb8k ... v9c6L4YULB

Cheers,
Chris

colinfrancis

Post by colinfrancis » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:43 pm

Sorry to have miss the Weekend SEE you in Cork :P

Chancer

Post by Chancer » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:15 pm

Thanks to Claire, Robin and John and the many helpers for organising what is always a great paddle. Despite the relatively calm conditions on Sun compared to Sat there were two capsizes- goes to show you never can tell. Great birthday party and BBQ in the boathouse after. Thought I was back in Spain with the sunshine. Great.