COME AND TRY IT WEEK END (CATITWE) MAY 10&11

Information about ISKA meets
martinguilfoyle

COME AND TRY IT WEEK END (CATITWE) MAY 10&11

Post by martinguilfoyle » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:53 am

The CATITWE will again be held in Streamstown at Actons Beachside Camp/caravan park just north of Clifden off the Claddaghduff road in Connemara. OS map 37 grid ref 588,548. Date May 10 and 1. From Clifden take the N59 north for approx. 4K. You will see Streamstown bay on your left. At the north side of the bay take a left for Claddaghduff. Approx 7.5K along this road the campsite will be on your left.

This is a very beautiful and family friendly spot with beaches and walks right outside your tent door. It is very family oriented and even though this is a kayaking weeknd it lends itself to families having the weekend together as there is much more to do here than kayak. Check out Actons own website.
A special rate for ISKA has been given; €7 per adult per night camping, €3 for children and under 5s are free. Mention ISKA when you arrive and book in to avail of this

The weekend has become not just a meet for kayaking but also a bit of a social event. As with other years a meal will be laid on for sat night with a donation for the rescue services requested as payment. Over the years this part of the event has raised funds for the Doolin rescue services. There is a carnivore and vegetarian option with desert;
drinks are supplied by your own selves so bring your own booze and musical instruments and sense of fun and leave your stress at the gate and have a good time.

Regarding trips; this is not aimed at beginners but at people who are reasonably competent in a kayak who want to try seakayaking. There will be organised and with leaders for this group. The trips will depend on weather and the ability of the group. It is essential that you are totally honest about your paddling experience and ability when signing up with a group.
Help is requested from more experienced paddlers with the running of these events.
Usually there are many paddlers of various skill levels and qualification and they usually sort themselves into peer groups and organise more challenging trips. These are not organised ISKA trips and are deemed to be peer paddles. The paddling options from here are many and should suit most people. A classic for the experienced paddler is Friar, High and Cruach islands. Check Oileain for info and comment on this area.

ISKA is a voluntary organisation and safety is paramount and please be aware that we accept no liability for loss or injury to any extent to persons or equipment. Please read the information on our web site.
Despite this we usually have a very good weekend of fun paddling entertainment and meeting up with old friends and even the old grumpy ones sometimes crack a smile. I don't smile , if it looks like I am smiling it only means I have got wind.

Any queries or comments feel free to call me on zero8nine 4359706
Martin Guilfoyle

Make life your hobby and paddling your pleasure.

martinguilfoyle

Re: COME AND TRY IT WEEK END (CATITWE) MAY 10&11

Post by martinguilfoyle » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:37 am

The briefing will be on sat morning at 0930.

I would like a rough guide for numbers of those who will be eating sat night. Post here or give me a ring 089 435 9706

Martin guilfoyle

brianmacmahon

Post by brianmacmahon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:04 pm

I'll be there Martin, looking forward to your cooking as always.
:D
Attachments
image.jpg
Streamstown Beach
image.jpg (223.07 KiB) Viewed 7299 times

hajoquade

Post by hajoquade » Thu May 01, 2014 8:47 am

Hi All,
I bought a sea kayak (Wilderness Tempest 170) two weeks ago and I'm busy 'getting the feel' in the Ballyloughane area of Galway. I'm definitely 'hooked' but I am new to all of this and would love to go to the CATITWE. Unfortunately I don't have a car and here is my question: Any chance of a lift to and from Acton's on the weekend or even on Thursday, May 8? Of course, I will share in regard to any financial aspects!

Thanks in advance

Hajo

colinfrancis

Post by colinfrancis » Thu May 01, 2014 9:02 pm

All going well hope to get down on Friday med day stay over night ,paddle Saturday eat you grate food :mrgreen: and leave :evil: as I have a family thing on

martinguilfoyle

Post by martinguilfoyle » Sat May 03, 2014 10:39 pm

If there is enough people interested we will run a Greenland rolling session during the weekend. If you are interested let me know so we can arrange things.

Martin Guilfoyle

hajoquade

Post by hajoquade » Sun May 04, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi, please disregard the query above, I've made alternative arrangements.

Hajo

martinguilfoyle

Post by martinguilfoyle » Wed May 07, 2014 11:50 am

MEET CANCELLED/POSTPONED TO 17/18 MAY

MARTIN GUILFOYLE