west clare meet 11/12 august

Information about ISKA meets
brianmacmahon

Re:west clare meet 11/12 august Free Fireworks

Post by brianmacmahon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Just to add my thanks to the esteemed Mr. Dave Walsh and Mr. Martin Guilfoyle for what could only be described as an amazing weekends paddling.

Martin whatever offering you made to the weather gods it worked a treat !!!

:)

Chancer

Post by Chancer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks Dave and Martin for a memorable weekend of superb paddling in perfect conditions. The campsite was wonderful with good facilities and a marvelous Bastu (thats Sauna to you non Swedes). Didnt try the Glamping tents though they looked wonderful. Worth a visit again for the camping and the incredible paddling not just the Loop but the area North of Bridges of Ross to Kilkee and North of Kilkee again which I did not get to see.

martinguilfoyle

Post by martinguilfoyle » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

I dont know how many attended the meet but there were 27 paddling on the saturday and 23 on the Sunday.Thanks to all of you who made it a great weekend. There was input by many people to make this a great paddle. Thanks to Dave and Julian and leon and Mick for leading and those who assisted. The local guys who know the caves cracks and gullies a big thank you.
The weather was kind to us. On the Friday some of us paddled a bit of the coast south of Kilkeee. The breeze 3 was from the SE and enabled us to do do loads caves. On Sat the forecast was for it to pick up but to stay in the same direction and we paddled in 2 groups to Goleen Bay and backand were able to get into most of the caves though not the through one.
Sunday winds were the same but going south and freshening in the evening. We put in at Kilbaha (25min drive from the campsite) and headed for Loophead. We went through the tunnel in Horse Island and a few caves and then went round tye head. I have done this trip regularly over a number of years and have never seen Loop head so friendly. We got in around the Rocks and were greeted by a pod of Dolphins who came fairly close and fast at one point.
The gap between The head and Diarmuid and Grainnes leap was easily passable and some stopped for photo shoots Emma and Conor and othjers did a few rolls inside and landed and swam off of it.
A word of caution here; this is a rare occasion here, I had one awful time in this area and am not afraid to say it was the one of the more frightening paddling experiences I have had. However the weather makes it. The trip carried on to the bridges of Ross with more caves cuts and the odd sneaky wave to catch you out .
If you do paddle out from Kilkee and use the slip on the east/north side of the bay off load your gear and park elsewhere and if required put a ticket on your car. Kilkee has got the a traffic warden who gives traffic wardens a bad reputation and will try to provoke you.
The campsite was great value with showers sauna and camp kitchen with stove and hot and cold running water and even a lit bonfire for the ISKA special rate. It was less than half we were paying at Mannix in Caherciveen and we were not cramped into one small area. Thanks Pure Camp.
Martin G

conorsmith

Post by conorsmith » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

seamusomahony

Post by seamusomahony » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks David and Martin for what was a really excellent paddling weekend.
Below is the link to some photos from the meet.

https://picasaweb.google.com/omahonyjpj ... PuSiqueqAE

leonconway

Post by leonconway » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks to all who made this a magic weekend, especially Dave & Martin for their excellent choice of campsite, excellent choice of paddling location and excellent conjuring up of the brilliant weather..
Also worth mentioning the invaluable knowledge and advice of many local paddling colleagues who helped to make it a safe as well as a thoroughly enjoyable trip.

Leon Conway

EWAN

Re:west clare meet 11/12 august

Post by EWAN » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Unfortunately I wasn’t free to attend, but thanks to Martin’s description and the photo’s of Conor & Seamus I have a sense of the place. It’s on the list now! Cheers, Ewan.

alandoyle

Re:west clare meet 11/12 august

Post by alandoyle » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

A little late, but I\'ll add my thanks too. A great weekend and a fabulous piece of coast. Sitting off Loop Head with a pod of dolphins heading through, rafting up between Leaba Dhiarmada and the Head, nosing under the Bridges of Ross, watching 30 kayakers get bullied by a horse...

Just steer clear of improbable cataracts.

Alan