We don't need no education ?

General discussion
brianmacmahon

We don't need no education ?

Post by brianmacmahon » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:39 am

Seasons greetings all,

Came across this interesting article during the week. Thought I'd post it here for your discernment.

https://www.rapidmedia.com/adventurekay ... ation.html

Would be interested in your thoughts so feel free to post.

Happy Christmas to one and all !

martinguilfoyle

Re: We don't need no education ?

Post by martinguilfoyle » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:22 pm

A very good article and highlights a lot of the problems/difficulties when an activity is highjacked by "experts". I started sea kayaking in the late eighties and can recognise a similar development within the u.k and Ireland. It sometimes seems that the only priority is getting qualifications. I support, wholeheartedly, training and qualifications but they should not be the goal. I have been on a number of courses and in recent years the emphasis has been more on theory and certificates than on "seamanship" and practical kayaking.

Merry Christmas to you all.

make work your hobby and paddling your pleasure.

Chancer

Re: We don't need no education ?

Post by Chancer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:16 am

The great thing about seakayaking or for that matter river kayaking in this country is that it is totally free and unregulated. You can still go in to a shop and buy a sit on top and head out to the Blaskets without even a PDF. Luckily most people are not stupid and seek to join a club or a group of experienced paddlers. I began paddling on the west coast in Donegal when I bought a boat and full set of gear off a friend and went out alone paddling and surfing. Nobody else doing it in 1976 in that part of the world. I have since completed many courses and achieved some qualifications. I was glad for this training as it gave me the knowledge and confidence to advance my own skills in the sport and pass on to others these skills.Most people in the club I am in have gone on to get some qualification in the sport in order I guess for their own enjoyment and sense of progress in the sport. Some just get the basic L2 which is our minimum standard and they do not progress their qualification any further. That's not to say they don't improve their kayaking skills. We have 21 L4/5 paddlers. That is their personal desire. The club has decided that the standard to lead on club meets is L4/4* but you just need L2 to paddle in a group of experienced paddlers trained to rescue you in the event of capsize or injury and to lead you where you will be safe. Anyone in our club can organise a peer paddle at any level without leaders. Just like anyone else they are not restricted in their paddling.
I don't see any attempt at over regulating or over control by increasing standards of training/certification. People are free to paddle where they like, when they like, in whatever sea conditions they like, with whomsoever they like. Paddlers with qualifications are not out to restrict other paddlers ability to paddle where and when they wish, rather the opposite in my opinion. These paddlers are a valuable resource to any organisation or club and help to train and spread the skills of seakayaking in a safe environment. Isn't this the aim of ISKA.