Holyhead-Dublin

General discussion
SteveGrimmer

Holyhead-Dublin

Post by SteveGrimmer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:06 am

Hi, anybody traveling this route in the coming weeks with roof rack space for a Romany? I have a send hand boat needs collecting in Holyhead, and I can meet the ferry in Dublin or Dunlaoirgh. Return by car is €250 if I collect myself, so happy to make a generous donation to the ticket cost. No driving involved at either end. Cheers, Steve

SteveGrimmer

Re: Holyhead-Dublin

Post by SteveGrimmer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:14 am

Or conversely, does anyone need a boat collecting if I go myself? Renault kangoo van with Karitek rack, space for two more boats, plus gear in back.

davidglasgow

Post by davidglasgow » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:23 pm

Went as a return foot passenger with Stena and brought a Skim Differ back as "hand luggage" on a cart.
Think the ticket was about 60e. a good idea to bubble wrap the nose, stern, and hull under the cockpit, as the staff will load, unload and bring it to the terminal in a van/truck.
Leave all hatch covers clear, or off, as the customs will want to see inside.

johnd

Post by johnd » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:14 pm

I have also collected a boat in Holyhead as a foot passenger and brought it back as hand luggage. Works a treat. Bubble wrap is a good idea.

afinn

Post by afinn » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:23 pm

I have also done the foot passenger thing with an Explorer......no bubble wrap and all was well.....It is loaded onto a truck and the truck is driven onto the boat....it stays on and is unloaded in Dublin...........I got to see the lads putting it on and off and they were gentle with it.....there were jokes in Ddublin about white powder spilling out of the rere hatch.....untrue as I still have to work.... :)

SteveGrimmer

Post by SteveGrimmer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:47 am

Thanks for the tip, was it just on stena or Irish ferries too? Steve

davidglasgow

Post by davidglasgow » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:42 am

I only used Stena, dont know about I. F. I imagine a phone call would sort it.

afinn

Post by afinn » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:09 pm

I was on Irish Ferries, no particular reason except it was the first ferry on that particular Sat......no pre booking just rolled up with the Explorer on kayak trolly as hand luggage, not a bother.......no extra cost...

knotman

Post by knotman » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:37 pm

Couple of years ago my Romany had to go to hospital for some major rhinoplasty. 8 inches of nose was only attached by a few fibreglass threads. A small incident on a perfectly calm day in a tunnel under the Cathedral Rocks way way out in the Blaskets :shock: .

Again a collection job with the ferry from Anglesey, Wales.
Only complication was I was asked to bring back a SECOND LV boat if at all possible :o.

So imagine you are on the ticket desk and this guy barely gets through the front door with TWO sea kayaks, one riding piggyback, on one little trolley.

ALL 3 front desk staff in unison said not a chance. No way Jose. WTF is one to do now????

Luckily another staffer, who arrived a few seconds later, said "Come on we'll give it a go". Squeezed them onto the luggage truck. Fair dues. Got both kayaks back to Ireland.

Thankfully I had an English fiver for Alan [always remembered his name} since a round day trip does not need English money.

Sennen

SteveGrimmer

Post by SteveGrimmer » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:54 am

Thanks all, foot passenger with a trolley and a roll of bubblewrap it is then! Guess Stena is best too, rather than battle through city traffic to Dublin Port.
Steve