Tents

General discussion
afinn

Tents

Post by afinn » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:09 pm

As i am in the market for a new tent, could people comment on the tents that they have, especially the 5 in the first pic,
that conor posted re the trip to Boffin.
Comments on ease of fit in kayak especially welcome, then ease of pitching/taking down etc...
any tips, ie do people seperate the poles from the tent when packing....dont forget to say brand name and model name
Thanks a lot and see y'all soon :D

Ivan-Galway

Re: Tents

Post by Ivan-Galway » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:23 am

For me, a tent whose outer skin goes up first is a must. Then it just depends on budget.

A mate got one of these, seems the job
http://www.alpinesports.ie/bivi-gear/te ... hubba.html

afinn

Post by afinn » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:27 pm

Thanks Ivan, appreciate it..

Mary Butler

Post by Mary Butler » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:33 am

Hi Alan

Essential in buying a tent, especially for this climate, is that you can put the outer part up first. Also make sure there is not too much mesh on the inner that you cannot close off as can be too cold for our weather.

I have a Macpac tent. Its their 2 person version called Stellar but may not be available still. What I like about it is:
Pitch outer first or both inner & outer together
Has entrance from two sides so if wind changes, have a sheltered side
Has a decent porch so so can have trangia outside and still stay sheltered to cook
Mesh in the inner for ventilation can be blocked off with zippered layer so you can choose how much ventilation you want.
The inner stays well away from the outer even on very windy days so no contact with the wet fly sheet
No foot print needed though I do use a cheap tarp underneath to protect from rough ground and keeps it clean.
Has 3 inside pocket for storage
Comfy for one .. but does fit two thermarest if need to have two people share.
Has withstood all kinds of weather and wind conditions.
Carry all .. poles, pegs and tent in its bag for packing into the kayak. Fits in to oval hatch of NDK Explorer and has been squeezed into round hatch too.

The only thing it doesn't do is pitch without pegs though I have camped on rocks and used stones in the peg elastics. (If I were in similar conditions again, I would make wee pockets to attach to the elastics and fill with stones.)

Here's a link to it though out of stock on this site http://www.moontrail.com/macpac-stellar.php

No.. I don't work for Macpac but I do like my tent!!

Mary

afinn

Post by afinn » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:04 pm

Hi Mary, many thanks for your reply,
I had another tent in mind a Vango Banshee but they had no 3 man when I went to buy so I ended up getting a Vango Halo 3.
It meets most of the criteria you mention
Outer first........Entrance both sides.........Porch..ish, it is there though not terribly big..........Mesh can be blocked off.......Have to get a tarp...........Pockets yes AND a hook for a light in ceiling.......Fits in ok, but took the poles out, not sure if it will go in to the kayak with the poles, have to check, might be a bit tight, round hatches only on boat...
It is free standing, but has plenty of guys too, 3 person so a bit more room, pack size for 2 man or 3 was the same according to the spec sheet
Looking forward to trying it out now.
Roll on the weekend

brianmacmahon

Post by brianmacmahon » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:50 pm

The trick Alan is to get the biggest bleedin kayak you can get. That way you don't need to scrimp on the tent.
My boat has been called an abomination by mostly Emma and other WISKA people who shall remain nameless !
However it can carry the kitchen sink. Huge hatch covers fore and aft.
I carry a 4 man tent with a large porch area for cooking. It's huge but I have no trouble fitting into my boat. That still leaves plenty of room for a fold up camp chair, a bale of briquettes, cooking supplies, food, booze, sleeping bag, blow up proper air bed....no thermarest for me. I like my comforts.
Also there's room for a mobile generator and a flat screen TV.

So the moral of the story is if you want to kayak a "traditional" boat then get used to bivi bags :lol:

Saying that get a tent that's two part where you can out the outer up first. Two doors are good too.
A porch is a necessity. If it's raining and it will be raining you'll want an area to cook and store kit. Failing that a separate tarp might be a solution to that.

Best of luck.

afinn

Post by afinn » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:49 pm

Thanks Brian. Having recently won the Euromillions I now have my " man" go ahead of me on my luxury yacht. I then follow in my kayak and everything is ready for me. You are correct,one cannot be without ones tv etc.
I have to admit, winning 50 million does have some small benefits.
The above is an extract from a dream I had on the 15 th July 2014.

DaveWalsh

Post by DaveWalsh » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:13 pm

Brian
I agree with Emma and WISKA that your boat is an abomination.
Its not just the shape at all at all.
There are insufficient decklines for'ard of the cockpit, so that in the (unlikely) event of a capsise, nobody will be able to empty you as part of a typical T-rescue.
It wouldn't have been allowed when ISKA was run by a certain "benevolent autocrat" many years ago !
DWalsh
PS I just absolutely luv my two man tent, a Vaude. Inside and outside go up an down together, and both hang from external supports, no threading through sleeves. 30 seconds up, 60 down, the business.
PPS Maybe you have actually and recently put in the necessary extra decklines as "advised" ?

brianmacmahon

Post by brianmacmahon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:14 am

I have a distant recollection of a certain ex-dictator turning up on Clare island with a small boat.
So small in fact that he didn't have room for any pegs. Necessary things pegs ! Particularly necessary for keeping up small tents. This same dictator looked around in panic on discovering that said edifice would not stay standing without the aid of pegs.
Whereupon his gaze fell upon my magnificent boat and the world of treasures that were stored within. Included in those treasures were SPARE PEGS !

Oh how short ones memory is ! For if it wasn't for the abomination your tent would have been a bivi sack for the weekend. It is wise to note that this magnificent boat does indeed have deck lines :roll:

DaveWalsh

Post by DaveWalsh » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:01 pm

So not just liars, but sneerers and jeerers too, need a good memory?
White flag hoisted here in New Quay
DWalsh