kAYAKFUERTEVENTURA

General discussion
martinguilfoyle

kAYAKFUERTEVENTURA

Post by martinguilfoyle » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:17 pm

I have a reputation of being in touch with the weather gods and last Christmas it was revealed to me that the week beginning 10 Feb was going to be very bad so With a number of paddling partners I decided to go kayaking in Fuerteventura. Temps 22 to 25 deg C. Sea temp 18deg and 70% sunshine.
We booked with Kayakfuerteventura with the intention of hiring equipment and going our own way. Having arrived on the SAt and Juan from Kayakfuerteventura (KF) picked us up at the airport adn took us to our apartments. He was so knowledgeable about the area and we quickly agreed to go with his plans.
Sun we were picked up at 0900 and taken to the south west side of the island. We sorted out gear boats and paddles. The boats included Aquanaut LV, Avocet, P&H Scorpios and Delphins, Necky Chatham and another. The paddles were all brand new Celtic paddles of a high spec. All the equipment was very good. We had a very pleasant paddle of approx 18Km along the coast. Conditions were benign though not flat calm. A pleasant day was had by all.

Monday was a day of large swells and wind so no paddling was done. It was enough to be looking out at the very large swells breaking over the reefs.

Tuesday was surfing in the seakayaks and we were issued with indestructable paddles. That should have been a warning. Great crack was had and yours truly took a swim. I thought I was great for a while but!!!!!!!!!!. Having been put back in my boat by Juan it was back to the Fun. Another day of great paddling and fun. Thanks Juan.

Wed was a trip to Lobos island and a circumnav and a marvellous feed of all types of fish at a rustic restaurant run by the local fishermen. The swell t the exposed side of the island was awe inspiring and made you sit up and pay attention. Great food and great paddling. Not too many photos of this part of the trip. The guides were brilliant and made sure we did not go wrong.

Thursday was a coastal trip without guides. Sea conditions were not too bad but boats had to be handled and we had a few surf landings and take offs. It was strange to be paddling parallell to a desert for part of the trip. This was a one way trip and Again Juan picked us up at the take out point and back to our accomodation.

Friday 5 and Juan made a trip on the west side. The exit from the harbour at the put in was a bit challenging and one old fella was a bit slow in making up his mind about how to deal with a rather large wave comming towards him so the wave surfed him backwards and dumped him. I was just giving Dave G an oppurtunity to display his finely honed rescue skills. The trip went on but we were a bit off the cliffs as the swell was a bit bigger than forecast. We landed for lunch a half sheltered boulder beach and then headed back. The entrance back into the harbour was interesting with some very clumsy surfing and stalling. A few rolls and a bit of surf finished another perfect day.

If you want a warm water destination this could be the place. Juan and George from Kayak Fuerteventura were excellent hosts and could not have done more to make this break exceptional. Their knowledge and experience is a great asset. The equipment they supplied was excellent with a wide range of good boats and really quality paddles.
I will go back there again and would reccommmend it to anyone. There is a discount rate for ISKA members.
Thanks Juan and George and all thje gang from Drogheda It was a magic week of paddling.

Martin Guilfoyle

MAKE WORK YOUR HOBBY AND PADDLING YOUR PLEASURE

jasonnagle

Re: kAYAKFUERTEVENTURA

Post by jasonnagle » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:29 pm

Hi Martin
Sounds great a gang of us are heading out from Cork in October. Any photos?

Cheers,

Jason.

davidglasgow

Post by davidglasgow » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:26 pm

Hi Jason,
If you go to the kayakfuerteventura website,--english,--- gallery,--visit collection flickr, we were there 9th to 14th feb.
The one for the 12th is the trip to and around Lobos island. (highly recommended)
Do bear in mind there was plenty of "white knuckle' moments that there is no pictures of, because we were too busy paddling like f---.
To echo Martin, excellent paddling, gear, weather, and Juan and Jorge are the icing on the cake, I have already started saving to go back.

jasonnagle

Post by jasonnagle » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:24 pm

Hi David,

I'll look those up,

Cheers,

Jason.